Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Rjesak
Helper I
Helper I

Calculated column based on two other columns

I've found a number of posts that seem like they should help but I haven't been able to get this to work.

I am in the Edit Query section and I select add Custom Column. I want to set the column based on two other column values - COLUMN1 contains 'A' and COLUMN2 contains 'B' then the custom column = 1.

This formula:

if Text.Contains([COLUMN1], "A") & Text.Contains([COLUMN2], "B") then 1 else 0

passes the syntax check but each result is an Error:

Expression.Error: We cannot apply operator type & to types logical and logical.

I've found some solutions on this board that suggest this should work:

if (Text.Contains([COLUMN1], "A") && Text.Contains([COLUMN2], "B"), 1, 0)

but that doesn't even pass the syntax check (Token literal expected).

This shouldn't be this hard so I suspect I'm missing something very simple but I'm completely stuck.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
QuangMC
Frequent Visitor

Hey, i'm new to the forum, so forgive if the answer is wrong 😅

I've had this error as well when trying to add a condition. If memory serves, replace & by "and"

Like the following :

if Text.Contains([COLUMN1], "A") and Text.Contains([COLUMN2], "B") then 1 else 0

Edit : Just to further explain, the "&" in M language serves as a concatenate function, and not like an "AND" function. Since Power Query uses M language, and PBI uses DAX, you might mix them up. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
QuangMC
Frequent Visitor

Hey, i'm new to the forum, so forgive if the answer is wrong 😅

I've had this error as well when trying to add a condition. If memory serves, replace & by "and"

Like the following :

if Text.Contains([COLUMN1], "A") and Text.Contains([COLUMN2], "B") then 1 else 0

Edit : Just to further explain, the "&" in M language serves as a concatenate function, and not like an "AND" function. Since Power Query uses M language, and PBI uses DAX, you might mix them up. 

Thank you SO much! That fixed it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.