Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JSR
Helper I
Helper I

Calculated column based on slicer selection

I know slicers values can't change Calculated columns value, but looking for a workaround for my scenario.

I have a merge table From Person and Objectives.

If the merge table has Objective ID -> Calculated column to Yes

I need now to add a filter to the calculated colum from the selected value of a Sync Slicer

I dont think I have any other laternative but to use a calculated colum, isn' it?

How could add the extra filter I need into the calculated colum?

Thanks

bi.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Dear guest, @JSR

Try to remove the parathesis'('

Before No and also delete one after alpha from the return statement

Check and let me know

If you decide please accept as a solution and do not forget to give congratulations

Best regards

Sujit

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Sujit_Thakur
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Dear @JSR ,
Please try to explain more , i am sure i can help you in this .
what i understood is you want to use a synced slicer to filter the calculated column .
If you want power BI to recalculate when you change slicer selection then you will have to use calculated measures.
try writting me what do you actually want , I will be happy to help

I expect a kudo by pressing thumbs up button from below and if this post brought you near to your solution please do accept this post as solution
Regards ,

Thakur Sujit

thanks @Sujit_Thakur

see my last reply, I think have detailed well now.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@JSR ,The information you have provided is not making the problem clear to me. Can you please explain with an example.

Appreciate your Kudos.

Sure thanks.

I have this calculated colum: 

Performace Objective Set = if('Merge Performance'[Performance Objectives Id] <> "",  "Yes", "No")

And I need to include another condition based on the selected value of a Slicer, but adding the following in bold doesnt change the value of calculated column.

Performace Objective Set = if('Merge Performance'[Performance Objectives Id] <> "" && SELECTEDVALUE('Performance Objectives'[Year], "2020") = 'Merge Performance'[Performance Objectives Year] ,  "Yes", "No") 

Dear @JSR ,
Please try and let me know 

Performace Objective Set =
                                      var Alpha=Merge Performance'[Performance Objectives Id]
                                      var Beta = 'Merge Performance'[Performance Objectives Year]
                                      Return IF((NOT(ISBLANK(Alpha))  && SELECTEDVALUE('Performance Objectives'[Year], "2020") == Beta ,   "Yes", "No")
I hope it works 
orelse will try again to help , till you reach your solution

I expect a kudo by pressing thumbs up button from below and if this post brought you near to your solution please do accept this post as solution
Regards ,

Thakur Sujit

Thanks again @Sujit_Thakur for your reply

I had to add ) at the end of your sentence

Not sure why I'm getting Operator or expression '( )' is not supported in this context.

bi2.PNG

Dear guest, @JSR

Try to remove the parathesis'('

Before No and also delete one after alpha from the return statement

Check and let me know

If you decide please accept as a solution and do not forget to give congratulations

Best regards

Sujit

Dear @JSR 

Did this helped ???

If yes please accept as solution so that it may help our family

If it brought atleast a bit closer atleast try giving kudos to keep solution providers motivation

Regards

Sujit

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.