Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

sabedin
Helper I
Helper I

Calculated column average help needed

Hi,

I have two Date columns and the difference of these two columns in Excel (all negative numbers).

Then I created a Column using simple DAX formula to substract these columns just like in Excel and then changed the format of the column to Whole Number. I got same result so it is OK up till now.

Now, when I create a measure to calculate the average of these values, I get two different result, a negative result when I use the column calculated in Excel (correct result) and a positive result when I use the column created with DAX!!! Apparently there is a problem with the column format and I don't know how to fix it.

Thank you for your help

help.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @sabedin,

That could be caused by the way how formulas handle the blank values. Please try out this formula.

Column = DATEDIFF([INVOICE_DATE],[ORDER_DATE],DAY)

Calculated_column_average_help_needed

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Not sure what is going on, couldn't replicate it. I created a column with negative values and a measure to average it and got a negative. Can you post sample data and your formulas? Please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

Here is what I did:

"Negative" query

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45W0jU0tVCK1QExTEygDLgIilQsAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Days ATF" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Days ATF", Int64.Type}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

Measure:

Measure 3 = AVERAGE(Negative[Days ATF]) 

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

I created a sample source file and pbix file showing discreppancies. Find them here: Files

It looks like the problem is with the rows that contain errors, because when I removed them in Excel source file the result was OK!!! 

What to do now so I could get the correct result (negative one) without removing the rows in the source file?

Thanks

Multiple by -1?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Please check the attached files, its a problem with the rows that have errors on it...

Anyone please try, its an interesting problem...

Hi @sabedin,

That could be caused by the way how formulas handle the blank values. Please try out this formula.

Column = DATEDIFF([INVOICE_DATE],[ORDER_DATE],DAY)

Calculated_column_average_help_needed

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-jiascu-msft

Hi Dale,

Yes, now the averages are correct! Thanks a lot. I will need to learn this in more detail so to not have this kind of troubles in the future.

Hi, we have similar issue and we want to get some help from the xperience in this thread.  Is that something possible? 

Issue:

We have to calculate Average on set of values based on a date range.  

If we take total values (entire date range that we have data for), the average is calculated correctly.  But, when we select a date range, the average calculate is failing.

Any help?

Hi,

Share a dataset and show the expected result.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.