Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

abukapsoun
Post Patron
Post Patron

Calculated Table

Hi Dears,

I have the following Table

I have the following formula

Count X = CALCULATE(COUNT('table1'[Value1]),FILTER(table1','table1'[Value1]="X"))

How can I create a new table, that return in Column1 the Period (P1, P2, ...) and Column2, the value of (Count X P3 - Count X P2)

so P3 will be (Count X P3 - Count X P2) and so on 

1.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

This probably isn't the cleanest way (I was trying to do it in one DAX expression initially), but you can create a summary table and then add a calculated column on top of it.

First step would be to summarize your data table by Period and Count of X.  I went ahead and added an "Index" column - this assumes that your periods will always be incrementing (P1, P2, ... P5, P6, .. Pn).

SummaryTable = SUMMARIZE(
Table1,
Table1[Period],
"Index", MID( Table1[Period], 2, LEN( MAX(Table1[Period]) ) ),
"Count of X", CALCULATE( COUNTROWS(Table1), FILTER(Table1, Table1[Value] = "X"))
)

This will give us a table that looks like:

Screen Shot 2017-09-22 at 11.26.39 AM.png

From here, we can add a "Difference" column using the following formula:

Difference = [Count of X] - LOOKUPVALUE('Table'[Count of X], 'Table'[Index], 'Table'[Index] + 1)

Screen Shot 2017-09-22 at 11.29.08 AM.png

Note: If you receive an error on this last step, you need to change the Data Type for the [Index] column to a Whole Number instead of Text.

Dan Malagari
Consultant at Headspring

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
malagari
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Can you show what you want the resulting table to look like? I'm having a hard time following your explanation.

It sounds like your case would be a good use of the SUMMARIZE function.  You can group by the Period, and then define your calculated columns with whatever formula you please (this is where I was lost in your explanation).

Screen Shot 2017-09-22 at 10.35.42 AM.png

Dan Malagari
Consultant at Headspring

@malagari

Thanks for your support, In fact I want to generate 2 columns, 

Period             Difference

P1                    Count of X in P1 - Count of X in P2

P2                    Count of X in P2 - Count of X in P3

P3                    Count of X in P4 - Count of X in P5

P4                    Count of X in P5 - Count of X in P6

I want to generate how much we had an increment in X count between the periods. 

This probably isn't the cleanest way (I was trying to do it in one DAX expression initially), but you can create a summary table and then add a calculated column on top of it.

First step would be to summarize your data table by Period and Count of X.  I went ahead and added an "Index" column - this assumes that your periods will always be incrementing (P1, P2, ... P5, P6, .. Pn).

SummaryTable = SUMMARIZE(
Table1,
Table1[Period],
"Index", MID( Table1[Period], 2, LEN( MAX(Table1[Period]) ) ),
"Count of X", CALCULATE( COUNTROWS(Table1), FILTER(Table1, Table1[Value] = "X"))
)

This will give us a table that looks like:

Screen Shot 2017-09-22 at 11.26.39 AM.png

From here, we can add a "Difference" column using the following formula:

Difference = [Count of X] - LOOKUPVALUE('Table'[Count of X], 'Table'[Index], 'Table'[Index] + 1)

Screen Shot 2017-09-22 at 11.29.08 AM.png

Note: If you receive an error on this last step, you need to change the Data Type for the [Index] column to a Whole Number instead of Text.

Dan Malagari
Consultant at Headspring

@malagari

Thank you! It was exactly what I need.

One last thing please, what is the logic of that lockupvalue function?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.