Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ManOAction

Calculated Row in Matrix

I'm brand new to Power BI and I'm having a hard time figuring this out.

I'm building a financial report, and I'd like to include a calculated row (not a column).  The data is expense_type (rows) by month (column).  Looks like this...

before.PNG

When I try to use DAX to create a percentage of one of the rows (% commission of ad sales), it puts it as an additional column.

wrong.PNG

The query I'm building this off of is laid out as `amount`, `type`, `date`.

How do I get the calculated information to appear as a row.

My current formula looks like this.

BrokerageCommission = CALCULATE(SUM('reports financialreport'[Amount])*.2,'reports financialreport'[Transaction Type] = "Ad Revenue")
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

That makes sense.   

I've written it into the underlying query in data warehouse as a union select, and it's working fine.

Thanks so much for your help.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

I guess your formula creates a measure, by default measures are put to the columns in a matrix visual:

measures on rows 1.png

If you want the measures used on rows, just mark the matrix visual and turn on the property "Show on rows"

measures on rows 2.png

Hope this is what you are looking for

Regards

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Thanks, that's helpful feedback, but not quite what I need.

It's now repeatedly showing it as a subset of all rows.  I need it to show only once.  The same that a subtotal would work.

wrong2.PNG

Hi,

This can be done in Excel by converting the PowerPivot table into cube formulas.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

Okay, understand!

Unfortunately this won't work, due to the fact that you can't create a Calculated Member in DAX, as it is possible in MDX, and assign this member to an already existing column. Using the tabular model this would necessarily lead to adding more rows to the table.

Regards

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

That makes sense.   

I've written it into the underlying query in data warehouse as a union select, and it's working fine.

Thanks so much for your help.

Just for others who can't do it prior importing into Power BI, here is one suggested solution.

This solution can be brutal, and may be even risky depending on your data model, but in simple cases it will work.

Lets assume you have a table called "Income" with columns Transaction Type and Amount.

Firstly, you need to duplicate your query, name it "Brokerage". Secondly, in the "Brokerage" table, filter your Transaction Type column with only "Ad Revenue". Thirdly, from Transform Tab, multiply your "Amount" with the brokerage rate. Fourthly, replace values in Transaction Type column from "Ad Revenue" to "Brokerage Commission"

Finally, you need to browse back to your original "Income" table and "Append Query" (append Brokerage to Income)

Here is a reproducable example:

Income Table

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WckxRCEotS80rTVXSUTI0AAOlWB2wRHBiTmoxUNgULuibWZwMFDCGCMQCAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t, Column2 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type text}, {"Column2", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Changed Type",{{"Column1", "Transaction Type"}, {"Column2", "Amount"}}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Renamed Columns",{{"Amount", type number}}),
    #"Appended Query" = Table.Combine({#"Changed Type1", Brokerage})
in
    #"Appended Query"

Brokerage Table;

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WckxRCEotS80rTVXSUTI0AAOlWB2wRHBiTmoxUNgULuibWZwMFDCGCMQCAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t, Column2 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type text}, {"Column2", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Changed Type",{{"Column1", "Transaction Type"}, {"Column2", "Amount"}}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Renamed Columns",{{"Amount", type number}}),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type1", each ([Transaction Type] = "Ad Revenue")),
    #"Multiplied Column" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Filtered Rows", {{"Amount", each _ * 0.2, type number}}),
    #"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Multiplied Column","Ad Revenue","BrokerageCommission",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Transaction Type"})
in
    #"Replaced Value"

Well, if i understand you correctly, you'd like to calculate the total Brokerage for all transaction types combined, and show it as another row of Transaction Type.

For example like this:

Transaction Type, Jan, Feb, Mar, .... 

Ad Revenue

Ad Sales

BrokerageCommission

Total

Could you confirm that this is what you need? We can help better if we know precisely what is the end visual you'd like to get.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.