Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

plddogs
Frequent Visitor

Calculated Row for Balance Sheet Matrix Help

Hi experts, I'm working on a project to convert some Quick Books Online accounts into dashboard reports in Power BI. I'm aware that the Power BI Online Service already has a pre-made dashboard for QBO but since it's not conducive to customization so I'm creating everything manually in Desktop. 

One of the issues that I'm struggling with is the fact that QBO doesn't have or maintain a Retained Earnings account in their GL table. Therefore I'm left to creating a calculated row that takes the difference between Assets and Liabilities.  

The formula is basically Sum of Assets = Sum of Liabilities + Equity.

As you can see below, what I'm looking for would be another row added to the Balance Sheet Matrix that would agregate the asset totals and subtract the liabilities totals. I've provided a condensed version of what the balance sheet table looks like also. It's essentially new transactions added each day to either an asset or liability account. 

I can't quite figure out how to best approach this. My initial thought was to create a separate table that summarized the difference between Equity and Liabilities by date. And then append the two tables together. 

Any direction would be greatly appreciated. 

2018-07-11_12-08-01.jpg2018-07-11_12-09-28 excel.jpg

2018-07-11_12-18-13 powerbi.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Seward12533
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

You can't just add a ROW. But you can get what  need to write a few measures

Assets = CALCULATE(SUM(table[CREDIT]),table[Account Type]="Assets")-CALCULATE(SUM(table[DEBIT]),table[Account Type]="Assets")

Liabilties = same but with ="Liabilities"

Member Contribution = measure to calcualte that

Then Retained Earnings = [Assets]-[Liabiliities]-[Member Contribution]

You can then add a Card to show this measure or Multi-Card to show the three componts and title or a Matrix with these meausres as values and display on Rows selected from the formatting pane. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @plddogs,

Have you solved your problem?

If you have solved, please always accept the replies making sense as solution to your question so that people who may have the same question can get the solution directly.

If you still need help, please share your data sample and your expected output, so that we can help further investigate on it?

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Seward12533
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

You can't just add a ROW. But you can get what  need to write a few measures

Assets = CALCULATE(SUM(table[CREDIT]),table[Account Type]="Assets")-CALCULATE(SUM(table[DEBIT]),table[Account Type]="Assets")

Liabilties = same but with ="Liabilities"

Member Contribution = measure to calcualte that

Then Retained Earnings = [Assets]-[Liabiliities]-[Member Contribution]

You can then add a Card to show this measure or Multi-Card to show the three componts and title or a Matrix with these meausres as values and display on Rows selected from the formatting pane. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.