Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jaymanivannan
Frequent Visitor

Calculated Measure with conditions

Hi,

I am new to PowerBI. I am trying to create a calculated measure based on the condition. For Example, I am trying to create measure for the following condition

SalesAverage= ((SUM(Total Sales $) Where AccountCode=410000) / (Sum(Total Sales Quantity) where AccountCode=420000))

Please help me to get this done.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jaymanivannan response is great.  To add to this, rather than using the / symbol and have to make a divide by zero check, just use the Divide() function.  I've also set this out using a spacing format, which is a good habit to get yourself into.

Here is an update

SalesAverage = DIVIDE(
        CALCULATE(
                SUM(Total Sales $), 
                [AccountCode]=410000
        ),
        CALCULATE (
                Sum(Total Sales Quantity), 
                [AccountCode]=420000
        )
)

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Im_SD

Hello!

How do you write this code in DAX?

Select column1

from table1

Where column3>column2;

(Consider column1 as text field and column 2 and 3 as value field).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

You should use the CALCULATE function.

Your formula should look something like this:

SalesAverage:= CALCULATE (SUM(Total Sales $), [AccountCode]=410000) / CALCULATE (Sum(Total Sales Quantity), [AccountCode]=420000).

I would also add division by zero condition check

Michael

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jaymanivannan response is great.  To add to this, rather than using the / symbol and have to make a divide by zero check, just use the Divide() function.  I've also set this out using a spacing format, which is a good habit to get yourself into.

Here is an update

SalesAverage = DIVIDE(
        CALCULATE(
                SUM(Total Sales $), 
                [AccountCode]=410000
        ),
        CALCULATE (
                Sum(Total Sales Quantity), 
                [AccountCode]=420000
        )
)

@Anonymous@AnonymousWhat if i want to apply where condition on categorical variable, say account status= Yes or No, want to calculate for those accounts whose status is No. Pls advise.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@abhi1707

It's similar, depends on a datatype of your categorical variable.

If it's string then just use smth like: CALCULATE(SUM([Amount]),Account_Status="No")

or this:

CALCULATE(SUM(Fact_Table[Amount]),Filter(Accounts,Accounts[Account_Status]="No"))

in case you have two connected tables

Michael

Does anyone know how to refer to a record the user is interacting with rather than a static value?

Example:

- Table visualization that acts as a slicer

- User clicks a record in the table

- Card visualization with a Measure set to:

measure = 
CALCULATE(
    SUM(Fact_Table[Amount]),
    Filter(Accounts,Accounts[Account_Status]=SELECTED.ACCOUNT_STATUS)
)

Where "SELECTED.ACCOUNT_STATUS" is the ACCOUNT_STATUS column in the Table visualization.

- I dont' want to create a measure for every single value of a given column.

- If there were 15 statuses, would I need 15 measures or is there a way to dynamically filter based on user selection?

Thank you

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ericOnline   I believe you would need to use https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/username-function-dax and then find some way of relating that information to your account information.  If the email address is shared, then you might have some luck.

Thanks for the reply @Anonymous , but I'm not sure how that function would help. I'm attempting to grab a column from a Table vis that the user has selected. Then use that column as a variable for a measure. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok i definately misunderstood.  I dont believe there is a dax can interact with visual selections so directly.  You might need to use indirect methods such as HASONEFILTER.

@Anonymous,  This is working !!!. Thanks for the quick response. No Zero divide error. Thank you once again.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I want to thank @Anonymous too. He did a lot of the work.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors