Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Calculated Dax column

Hi

I am trying to create a new calculated column in Table 1 in which based on the Invoice Currency and FY then the value is multiplied by the relevant currency rate within Table 2. 
Table 3 shows the intended output i am trying to achieve.

Can you please advise on the dax measure required for this?

Table 1Table 1Table 2Table 2

Table 3Table 3

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

Please always show your sample data in text-tabular format in addition to (or instead of) the screen captures. A screen cap doesn't allow people to readily copy the data and run a quick test and thus decreases the likelihood of your question being answered. Just use 'Copy table' in Power BI and paste it here. Or, ideally, share the pbix (beware of confidential data).

Create a new  calculated table, Table3:

Table3 =
ADDCOLUMNS (
    Table1,
    "FValue",
        VAR rate_ =
            LOOKUPVALUE (
                Table2[Curreny Rate],
                Table2[Financial Year], Table1[FY],
                Table2[Currency], Table1[Invoice Currency]
            )
        RETURN
            Table1[Value] * rate_
)

You could also just add a calculated column to your Table1 instead of creating a new table

This can also be done in Power Query.

Please mark the question solved when done and consider giving a thumbs up if posts are helpful.

Contact me privately for support with any larger-scale BI needs, tutoring, etc.

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

Please always show your sample data in text-tabular format in addition to (or instead of) the screen captures. A screen cap doesn't allow people to readily copy the data and run a quick test and thus decreases the likelihood of your question being answered. Just use 'Copy table' in Power BI and paste it here. Or, ideally, share the pbix (beware of confidential data).

Create a new  calculated table, Table3:

Table3 =
ADDCOLUMNS (
    Table1,
    "FValue",
        VAR rate_ =
            LOOKUPVALUE (
                Table2[Curreny Rate],
            )
        RETURN
            Table1[Value] * rate_
)

You could also just add a calculated column to your Table1 instead of creating a new table

This can also be done in Power Query.

Please mark the question solved when done and consider giving a thumbs up if posts are helpful.

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

Anonymous
Not applicable

Many Thanks @AlB !!

Can you also advise on how to add calculated column in Table 1 instead and also how this can be done within Power Query?

@Anonymous 

Calc colum for Table1:

FValue =
VAR rate_ =
    LOOKUPVALUE (
        Table2[Curreny Rate],
    )
RETURN
    Table1[Value] * rate_

For the Power Query solution I'd need you to paste Table1 and Table2 here in text (just copy the table in PBI and paste here) so that I can copy the contents quickly and build the solution

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the swift response, see below. 

PC      Curr    FY        Value 

abcGBPFY20 810.08
bcdGBPFY20 195.82
efgGBPFY21380.69
hijGBPFY21697.78
klmEURFY20 956.07
mnoEURFY20 184.03
pqrEURFY211785.86
stuEURFY211572.71

Curr     FYr    Rate 

GBPFY201
EURFY201.129805
GBPFY211
EURFY211.141068

@Anonymous 

You need to create Table2 first. Then place the following M code in a blank query to see the steps. The last step is the important one (#"Added Custom")

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("Zc7LCgIxDAXQf8l6CEnHNulWULciuJDShTO+dXz7/9a6cKibXLgHLgkBlk0LFUyG03THC0MplAlJIVYBmnZVKnuLarKuN9u+copaCZ3PutsfSnVeUL7Lx1OXitF89lv21iFJ1u58KZV1gFRnvd7uff0ss2h6y2V+PF9/bMWgMMT4Bg==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [PC = _t, Curr = _t, FY = _t, Value = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"PC", type text}, {"Curr", type text}, {"FY", type text}, {"Value", type number}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "FValue", each [Value]*Table.SelectRows(Table2, (inner)=>inner[FY]=[FY] and inner[Curr]=[Curr])[Rate]{0}, type number)
in
    #"Added Custom"

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.