Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

connork
Helper I
Helper I

Calculated Columns on Direct SQL Connection

I have two SQL tables with data on employee's time:

• Table A: Daily snapshot of the total time each employee entered on his timecard for that day (i.e. one record would be a full 8.0 hr day).  Each record has a unique ID (TimeID) for the day and total time
  • Table B:  breakdown of the hours for each day (i.e. Job A, Job B, etc) with the associated TimeID, however there is no date assocated
  • The sum of table B hours by Time ID equals the time ID record from table A.
  • There is a 1:many relationship for TimeID from TableA (1) to TableB (many)

First time working on a direct SQL connection - if I had imported I would try using a join table with filter & earlier functions... but they do not seem to be available with calculated columns (and I'm not sure if this a PBI limitation or just my knowledge limiting the functionality).

Any suggestions on how to combine these datasets so that I can show a matrix with the dates as columns & jobs as rows?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

Hi @connork,

Could you try combining the tables in the SQL used for the DQ table?

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

@Phil_Seamark - I don't have write-access to our SQL database, so I'm trying to understand the limitations of what I can do in PowerBI without going into other systems.

Am I (already) at a dead-end using the PowerBI route?

Thanks

@connork

I still understand the issue when you encountered in import mode. However, in this scenario, I think you can import those two tables individually. Then you can use "Merge Queries" in Query Editor to join tables based on the Time ID column.

9.PNG

Then expand the related table into rows.

0.PNG

Regards,

@v-sihou-msft

Thanks Simon that worked!  New to merge queries, and I had been using it incorrectly.  

I have been working with our IT team to try the route of joining in the SQL tables, and made progress that way as well.   

Any pros/cons on direct query vs scheduled refresh through the gateway?  

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.