Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Calculated Columns Model

Hi,

I have a model that is currently on excel and wish to import it on power bi given its much easier to analyse.

What i m after at is having 3 tables - Rules table -> Table 1 , Source Data Table -> Table 3 and my Calculations table -> Table 2. 

What i'm after at getting data from the source data and the rules data based according to the unique username so I guess this needs to be done using calculated columns. For ease of reference i put a screenshot of the tables i m mentioning above. 

Could you help me out as I am relatively new to power BI.

lucasaliba04_0-1598703164253.png

4 REPLIES 4
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Kindly check if the attchedments are helpful.

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

FrankAT
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous 

you can do it super easy with Power Query like this:

// RulesTable
let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("Xc65CcAwEATAXg6cKbjVr9BuQ6j/NrRgsBeFk82cdj/usGDwy1Z4HekoTnQSZzqLC13Ela7iRjdxp7t40OM3nBYePRw9fL21AQ==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Username = _t, #" Discount" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Username", type text}, {" Discount", Percentage.Type}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

// SourceTable
let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("Xc0xDsAgDEPRu2RmiBOg7dheA3H/a5CqUmUy+g3+Y8j9qEKKNFWVWT6wgM7gAZWhBjjtFtto99hoBMf7wHDm6JWi0BQF9ihsj8L/y7kA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Username = _t, #" Sales" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Username", type text}, {" Sales", Int64.Type}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

// CalculationTabel
let
    Source = Table.NestedJoin(RulesTable, {"Username"}, SourceTable, {"Username"}, "Calculation Table", JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded Calculation Table" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(Source, "Calculation Table", {" Sales"}, {" Sales"}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded Calculation Table", "Sale post Discount", each [#" Sales"] - [#" Sales"] * [#" Discount"], type number)
in
    #"Added Custom"

30-08-_2020_00-00-31.png

With kind regards from the town where the legend of the 'Pied Piper of Hamelin' is at home
FrankAT (Proud to be a Datanaut)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Could you take me through what you did wuth power query pls?

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous - Seems to me that you should use a Merge query to merge tables 2 and table 3. Then you could create a calculated column for your total price discount.

If you want to keep them separate, you could form a relationship between the two tables. Then you could put Username from one of the tables in a table visualization and then put Discount and Sales in that same visualization and create a measure like:

Measure = MAX('Table1'[Discount]) * MAX('Table3'[Sales])

and put that into your visualization.

If you want an actual Table 2 in your data model created via DAX you could do that as well. Using NATURALINNERJOIN or ADDCOLUMNS, etc.

Not really enough information to go on, please first check if your issue is a common issue listed here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Before-You-Post-Read-This/ba-p/1116882

Also, please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

The most important parts are:
1. Sample data as text, use the table tool in the editing bar
2. Expected output from sample data
3. Explanation in words of how to get from 1. to 2.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.