Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bwasham
Frequent Visitor

Calculated Column with Var and IF Then Else

I am trying to create a matrix in Power BI with a column for Full Time Equivalents (FTE).  The Table looks like this (Please note this is an example the actual table has well over a million lines for hours).

Staff

Hours

Aug

if(hours divided by Aug is greater then 1, 1, Hours divided by Aug)

Jane

John

Jim

Jason

Jared

Jill

Jenny

Sum

In Excel all I would have to do is run the formula listed in the header of the table and then sum the column.  Of course, because of how subtotals work in Matrixes. That’s not the result. Instead you get the total of hour divided by the total of Aug so 1163 divided by 1302 and the result is .89.

Working with Variables I have been close, and even was able to get to a point where the rows were correct and the subtotal was actual numbers.  But this is not correct as it results in a total of 6.25 rather than the 6.10.

My current measure formula is this

FTEMeasure =

VAR FTE1 =

IF (

DIVIDE ( SUM ( Table1[Hours] ), SUM ( Table1[Aug] ) ) > 1,

DIVIDE ( SUM ( Table1[Hours] ), SUM ( Table1[Aug] ) )

)

VAR FTESUM =

SUMMARIZE ( Table1, Table1[Hours], "FTE Sum", FTE1 )

RETURN

IF ( HASONEVALUE ( Table1[Staff] ), FTE1, SUMMARIZE ( FTESum, [FTE Sum] ) )

Which results in the .89.  I know that the current if then statement after RETURN is legitimate because If I change out the Else calculation, say to 100, the result 100 shows on the subtotal line.  But I just can’t get the subtotal line correct.  Anyone know the answer?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I would approach this as 3 measures:

August = 186 

FTE1Measure = 
VAR __FTE = DIVIDE(SUM(Table8[Hours]),[August])
RETURN IF(__FTE>1,1,__FTE)

FTEMeasure = 
IF(HASONEVALUE('Table8'[Staff]),[FTE1Measure],SUMX(SUMMARIZE('Table8',[Staff],"__FTE",[FTE1Measure]),[__FTE]))

FTEMeasure is the one that you want to use, the other two are just intermediate.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I would approach this as 3 measures:

August = 186 

FTE1Measure = 
VAR __FTE = DIVIDE(SUM(Table8[Hours]),[August])
RETURN IF(__FTE>1,1,__FTE)

FTEMeasure = 
IF(HASONEVALUE('Table8'[Staff]),[FTE1Measure],SUMX(SUMMARIZE('Table8',[Staff],"__FTE",[FTE1Measure]),[__FTE]))

FTEMeasure is the one that you want to use, the other two are just intermediate.

Latest book!:

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Does your data really look like what you posted or do you have multiple hour entries per person?

Latest book!:

@Greg_Deckler, good afternoon!

I am following your solutions, but I have the following problem to calculate the total, at the row level is calculating correct, I wanted to calculate the total of the column calculated in the visual, but I can't. Follow a brief explanation of what I'm looking for, I have a base customer, I'm looking for the customer's last purchase date, to find out if it has more than 60 days, with this condition I wanted to calculate your next sell for 30 days from the date he was considered reactivated, until now after a lot of struggle, I managed, but I'm still looking for the total.

Captura de Tela (40).pngCaptura de Tela (41).pngCaptura de Tela (42).png 

Tha actual data has millions of rows in hours.  I can make the calculations work with Group by in Power Query, but it would have to be done each month. 

I am trying to create a matrix in Power BI with a column for Full Time Equivalents (FTE).  The Table looks like this (Please note this is an example the actual table has well over a million lines for hours).

Staff

Hours

Aug

if(hours divided by Aug is greater then 1, 1, Hours divided by Aug)

Jane

John

Jim

Jason

Jared

Jill

Jenny

Sum

In Excel all I would have to do is run the formula listed in the header of the table and then sum the column.  Of course, because of how subtotals work in Matrixes. That’s not the result. Instead you get the total of hour divided by the total of Aug so 1163 divided by 1302 and the result is .89.

Working with Variables I have been close, and even was able to get to a point where the rows were correct and the subtotal was actual numbers.  But this is not correct as it results in a total of 6.25 rather than the 6.10.

My current measure formula is this

FTEMeasure =

VAR FTE1 =

IF (

DIVIDE ( SUM ( Table1[Hours] ), SUM ( Table1[Aug] ) ) > 1,

DIVIDE ( SUM ( Table1[Hours] ), SUM ( Table1[Aug] ) )

)

VAR FTESUM =

SUMMARIZE ( Table1, Table1[Hours], "FTE Sum", FTE1 )

RETURN

IF ( HASONEVALUE ( Table1[Staff] ), FTE1, SUMMARIZE ( FTESum, [FTE Sum] ) )

Which results in the .89.  I know that the current if then statement after RETURN is legitimate because If I change out the Else calculation, say to 100, the result 100 shows on the subtotal line.  But I just can’t get the subtotal line correct.  Anyone know the answer?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.