Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

brodekiah
Frequent Visitor

Calculated Column values "null" when appended to another query

I've added a couple of calculated columns in one query and when trying to append this to another query, those column values show up as "null" instead of the calculated value. The column names are the same and line up correctly but just show values as "Null".

3 REPLIES 3
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @brodekiah ,

Base on your description,my advise is:

1.remove all source files, except for the problematic one(s);

2.Load up your Power Query script and navigate to step 1; and

3.Enumerate through each step until you see the values disappear.

This will tell you which step fails. If you're still unclear on a solution, then please post your entire M script and related data model (delete sensitive information) in response to this comment.

Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Are the values null in the rows you appended onto?  Or the original rows that had the calculated column are null?  The former is expected behavior as the formula does not propagate to the new rows.

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

The values are not null in that column for the query being appended onto, and they were not null in the standalone query. The values in that column only went to "Null" after appending the calculated column of one query onto a non-calculated column of another. It's intentional to have those columns aligned, but I'm not sure how to append the value from the calculated column and not the formula.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.