Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Calculated Column of Monthly Sales Total

I would like to have a calculated column of the monthly sum of sales like this:

DateTimeSalesMonthlySales
1/1/201810100
1/5/201890100
2/16/20182550
2/18/20182550

I've tried to achieve this by using the following formula:

MonthlySalesTotal = 
SUMX(
   VALUES(DimDate[MonthYear]), 
   SUM(FactSales[LineTotal])
)

This just gives me the entire sales total on each line like so:

DateTimeSalesMonthlySales
1/1/201810150
1/5/201890150
2/16/201825150
2/18/201825150

It looks like it's failing to group by MonthYear correctly and just providing all the MonthYear values instead of the single on related to that row. I have confirmed the join between my calendar table and sales table since formulas such as TOTALYTD work just fine. What formula can I use to produce a monthly sales total for each line in my table?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You won't be able to use it as a report filter unfortunately. You could create a column by duplicating the table in power query and aggregate the table to calculate the monthly values and merge join the table to give you a value.

You would need to join on the month start date which you could calculate in M.

Text.From(Date.Year([DateTime])) & "-" & Text.End("0" &Text.From(Date.Month([DateTime])),2) & "-01"

mlanguage.PNG

Copy that table and then group the new table;

mlanguage1.PNG

Then merge join on the original table

mlanguage2.PNG

Then you will have the monthly values in a column. Be careful to not double count the values it's purely for filtering purposes only!

mlanguage3.PNG

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
gooranga1
Power Participant
Power Participant

Measure = CALCULATE(sum(Table16[Sales]),filter(ALLSELECTED(Table16),Table16[DateTime].[MonthNo] = maxx(Table16,Table16[DateTime].[MonthNo]) && Table16[DateTime].[Year] = maxx( Table16,Table16[DateTime].[Year])))

You could try above.

measure.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

That got me much closer! My formula below works as a measure but I can't use it as a report level filter. I tried using the same code for a caculated column and it just shows all blanks. Is there a way to write it as cacluated column so I can use it across all visuals in the report without manually dragging the measure into each individual visual filter?

(Or alternatively is there a way to use this measure as a report level filter)

MonthSalesTotal = 
CALCULATE(sum(FactSales[LineTotal]),
    filter(ALLSELECTED(DimDate),
        DimDate[MonthYear]= maxx(DimDate,DimDate[MonthYear]))
)

You won't be able to use it as a report filter unfortunately. You could create a column by duplicating the table in power query and aggregate the table to calculate the monthly values and merge join the table to give you a value.

You would need to join on the month start date which you could calculate in M.

Text.From(Date.Year([DateTime])) & "-" & Text.End("0" &Text.From(Date.Month([DateTime])),2) & "-01"

mlanguage.PNG

Copy that table and then group the new table;

mlanguage1.PNG

Then merge join on the original table

mlanguage2.PNG

Then you will have the monthly values in a column. Be careful to not double count the values it's purely for filtering purposes only!

mlanguage3.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the detailed answer.... but that's a really long walk for just a monthly sum column. I think at this point I will give up trying to do this in DAX and just modify the underlying SQL View. Thanks for the help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.