Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BILearner
Advocate I
Advocate I

Calculated Column based on two column in the Same table

Hi,

I have a data similar to attached screenshot. And I am trying to calculate  the Weighted Score column based on Subject Name and test Score columns.

Capture.PNG

The weighted column is calculated for the range of Test score from 0 to 100 or Null from a sliding scale which varies for each subject name. 

For example If the subject is Math the weighted Score Would be calculated with following Sliding Scale

If the subject is math and the test score is null then weighted score is null

If the subject is math and  the test score >= 90  then weighted Score is "4.0"

if the subject is math and the test score >=80 but <90 then weighted score is "3.5" 

if the subject is math and the test score >=70 but <80 then weighted score is "3.0" 

if the subject is math and the test score >=60 but <70 then weighted score is "2.5" 

if the subject is math and the test score >=50 but <60 then weighted score is "2.0"

if the subject is math and the test score >=40 but <50 then weighted score is "1.5"

if the subject is math and the test score >=35 but <40 then weighted score is "1.0"

if the subject is math and the test score <30 then weighted score is "0"

otherwise null    

Similarly for Science it may be

If the subject is Science and the test score is null then weighted score is null

If the subject is Sceince and  the test score >= 75  then weighted Score is "4.0"

if the subject is math and the test score >=70 but <75 then weighted score is "3.5" 

if the subject is math and the test score >=60 but <70 then weighted score is "3.0" 

if the subject is math and the test score >=55 but <60 then weighted score is "2.5" 

if the subject is math and the test score >=50 but <55 then weighted score is "2.0"

if the subject is math and the test score >=40 but <50 then weighted score is "1.5"

if the subject is math and the test score >=35 but <40 then weighted score is "1.0"

if the subject is math and the test score <30 then weighted score is "0"

otherwise null  

In the original data I have more than 30 Subjects for each row irrespective of the student is taking that subject or not if the student is not taking the subject the corresponding Scores are blank/null.

Can somebody please point me in the right direction on how to acheive this Preferably using DAX if not Power Query will also do.

Thanks! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mattbrice
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

As a calculated column you could do this:

=SWITCH( TRUE(), 
Table[Subject Name] = "Math" && isblank( Table[Test Score] ), BLANK(),
Table[Subject Name] = "Math" && Table[Test Score] >= 90, "4.0",
Table[Subject Name] = "Math" && Table[Test Score] >=80 && Table[Test Score] <90,"3.5", 
Table[Subject Name] = "Math" && Table[Test Score] >=70 && Table[Test Score] <80, "3.0",
Table[Subject Name] = "Science" && isblank( Table[Test Score] ), BLANK(),
Table[Subject Name] = "Science" && Table[Test Score] >= 75, "4.0",
Table[Subject Name] = "Science" && Table[Test Score] >= 70 && Table[Test Score] < 75,"3.5", 
)

Obvioulsy I didn't fill out the whole thing, but you get the idea.  If you have a duplicative weighted schedule, you could "OR" the Subject Name checks in the SWITCH so as to not have to do a row for every subject.   Keep in mind the SWITCH will stop at the first TRUE statement.

Another approach would be to have nested SWITCH statements,  Outer switches on subject name, inner by score range.  

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
mattbrice
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

As a calculated column you could do this:

=SWITCH( TRUE(), 
Table[Subject Name] = "Math" && isblank( Table[Test Score] ), BLANK(),
Table[Subject Name] = "Math" && Table[Test Score] >= 90, "4.0",
Table[Subject Name] = "Math" && Table[Test Score] >=80 && Table[Test Score] <90,"3.5", 
Table[Subject Name] = "Math" && Table[Test Score] >=70 && Table[Test Score] <80, "3.0",
Table[Subject Name] = "Science" && isblank( Table[Test Score] ), BLANK(),
Table[Subject Name] = "Science" && Table[Test Score] >= 75, "4.0",
Table[Subject Name] = "Science" && Table[Test Score] >= 70 && Table[Test Score] < 75,"3.5", 
)

Obvioulsy I didn't fill out the whole thing, but you get the idea.  If you have a duplicative weighted schedule, you could "OR" the Subject Name checks in the SWITCH so as to not have to do a row for every subject.   Keep in mind the SWITCH will stop at the first TRUE statement.

Another approach would be to have nested SWITCH statements,  Outer switches on subject name, inner by score range.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.