Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Calculated Column Transaction Count for Each Customer

I am trying to create a calculated column for my sales data. For example, if customer A has made 3 purchases in the whole sales history, I would want the most recent transaction rows be labelled "3" and the earliest "1", etc. The same thing goes for customers B, C, D, etc.

I think the formula involves RANKX and EARLIER, but I'm at loss over how it should work. Can anyone help?

Here's the onedrive link to my sample orders data file: https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApcbjU3iSiOxgqAkFM-5tqlTfoMasA

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jthomson
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

I've not looked at your data, but make an index column ordering all your transactions (if you don't already have a transaction ID column that runs sequentially in order already) then go with something like this:

transactioncount.PNG

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
jthomson
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

I've not looked at your data, but make an index column ordering all your transactions (if you don't already have a transaction ID column that runs sequentially in order already) then go with something like this:

transactioncount.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

omg how did you manage to come up with this formula? Can you share your thought process behind it?

For example, why did you use ALL()? And why is it that we can just specify a column for the <Expression> parameter of the RANKX function? What is DENSE for?

Thank you so much! I've marked your post as the solution.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.