Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

gauravsukhadia
Frequent Visitor

Calculated Column ( Order of Calculation trouble )

Hi Team,

I have unique problem where Power BI Calculated column returns wrong result and not as per formula. 

Second Part of My formula is trying to say give me weight of each product if product profile matches "Angle" then (edge_width*2-thickness)*thickness*length*0.0075*quanity. If I calculate manually then 50mmx50mmx4mm Angle = 6 MTR weight should come as 18.0864 Kg but Power BI gives 99.2464 kg. I have no idea why? Possibly due to order of calulation is going wrong ? 

Formula : 

weight = if(OR('Transactions_2020-21'[Profile]="Universal Beam",'Transactions_2020-21'[Profile]="Universal Column"),'Transactions_2020-21'[edge_width2]*'Transactions_2020-21'[Length]*'Transactions_2020-21'[Quantity], IF('Transactions_2020-21'[Profile]="Angle", 'Transactions_2020-21'[edge_width1]*2-'Transactions_2020-21'[thickness]*'Transactions_2020-21'[thickness]*'Transactions_2020-21'[Length]*0.00785*'Transactions_2020-21'[Quantity],0))

Please help. Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
sktneer
Resolver I
Resolver I

In the actual formula, you are missing parenthesis as used in your following manual calculation so the order of calculation would be different.

(edge_width*2-thickness)*thickness*length*0.0075*quanity

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
sktneer
Resolver I
Resolver I

In the actual formula, you are missing parenthesis as used in your following manual calculation so the order of calculation would be different.

(edge_width*2-thickness)*thickness*length*0.0075*quanity

Sorry, my bad I wasn't putting both parenthesis so it was showing the wrong result. You are the man, your solution worked. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

use DAX Formatter , just paste your code, it will format and inform where you are missing parenthesis.

happy learning 🙂

But if I put parenthesis then If the formula assumes calculation is over and state the next parameter you know what I mean. 

gauravsukhadia
Frequent Visitor

gauravsukhadia_0-1624073256070.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.