Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Calculated Column IF Amount Exceeds Dynamic Threshold

Hi, 

I am pretty new to Power BI, but I have the formula below to identify records that need Review by checking if the calculated Difference exceeds a Threshold. This formula works if I use it in a measure, but not with a calculated column. It incorrectly identifies rows as needing Review when it does not. The Threshold is a "WhatIf parameter" of whole numbers that users can change through a slicer. I want to use a calculated column because I intend to use Variance_check in a slicer to easily filter rows that require review.

Variance_check =

VAR Difference = CALCULATE(SUM('TB DATA'[Sales]), 'TB DATA'[Period] = "CurrentYear") - CALCULATE(SUM('TB DATA'[Sales]), 'TB DATA'[Period] = "PriorYear")

RETURN

IF(ABS(Difference) > Threshold[Value] , "Review" , "OK")

Any ideas on how to get this to work with a calculated column? Thank you in advance for the help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-chenwuz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

You want to create a column but the column is calculated to change dynamically, right?

This seems to be impossible in Power Bi due to the difference between the measure and the calculated column. Columns are calculated and saved in the capture as soon as you create it, so the result in column won’t change when you do something on slicer.

But you can try to use measure to show the result which defined to display based on the slicer

Variance_check =
VAR Difference =
    CALCULATE( SUM( 'TB DATA'[Sales] ), 'TB DATA'[Period] = "CurrentYear" )
        - CALCULATE( SUM( 'TB DATA'[Sales] ), 'TB DATA'[Period] = "PriorYear" )
RETURN
    IF( ABS( Difference ) > Threshold[Value], "Review", BLANK() )

Then unselect show items no data

vchenwuzmsft_0-1634621562952.png

the result will behind the rows with blank。

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ chenwu zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great, thanks for all the suggestions.

v-chenwuz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

You want to create a column but the column is calculated to change dynamically, right?

This seems to be impossible in Power Bi due to the difference between the measure and the calculated column. Columns are calculated and saved in the capture as soon as you create it, so the result in column won’t change when you do something on slicer.

But you can try to use measure to show the result which defined to display based on the slicer

Variance_check =
VAR Difference =
    CALCULATE( SUM( 'TB DATA'[Sales] ), 'TB DATA'[Period] = "CurrentYear" )
        - CALCULATE( SUM( 'TB DATA'[Sales] ), 'TB DATA'[Period] = "PriorYear" )
RETURN
    IF( ABS( Difference ) > Threshold[Value], "Review", BLANK() )

Then unselect show items no data

vchenwuzmsft_0-1634621562952.png

the result will behind the rows with blank。

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ chenwu zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Fowmy
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

Measures can see the selection you make in the slicer or Parameter but Calculated Columns and Tables cannot see them because, adding columns and tables happens in the data model, once you add they are available to be used in the report. 

To achieve your requirement, you can assign the measure to the Filter Pane and Visual Filter and apply it accordingly to filter out the items dont need.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Fowmy, thanks for the response. This will work, however, I wasn't intending to expose the Filter pane to users, but I guess there really isn't a way out for now. Appreciate your response.

@Anonymous 

The other way is to create new measures with required filters included but the option I suggested is easier. You can hide the filter pane from users or even hide even a single measure or a column from the users. Please refer to this article: 
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/power-bi-report-filter

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.