Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Calculate with slicer

Hello all!

Here is my current situation:

I have a table with an employee ID column, a column with the company ID (where the employee works) and 12 columns, representing the months of the year, with the amount budgeted for this employee.

Brz_Orçado

To get the sum of the total budgeted for employee, I created a measure using CALCULATE and SUMX:

Total Orçado = CALCULATE(SUMX('Brz_Orçado','Brz_Orçado'[Value]))

The formula works perfectly. And I can filter by employee ID and per month without any difficulty using the slicer.

But my "problem" begins now...

I have 3 more tables:

Arg_Orçado

Col_Orçado

Per_Orçado

And I need to create a slicer using the Company ID.

When I select 2 (Brz), I get the sum of Brz (eg.: 150.000,00). When I select 100 (Arg), I get the sum of Arg (eg.: 250.000,00).

When I select 2 and 100, I need to get the sum of Brz and Arg together (eg.: 400.000,00).

How do I do that?

---EDIT---

The 4 tables are related to db_Geral, which is also related to db_Empresa.

db_Geral

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
hnguy71
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Within your slicer, 

make sure it's enabled to take multiple selections. It's on by default. To have take multiple selections, press CONTROL + LEFT CLICK and you should have both or all the selected items.

multiple_selecton.PNG

Two things I'd suggest to change:

1-Append all like tables together so you can utilize 1 measure to sum all locations

2-Your SUMX needs to change to SUM. 

Total Orcado = SUM(Append_Locations[Amount])

Did I answer your question?
Please help by clicking the thumbs up button and mark my post as a solution!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
hnguy71
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Within your slicer, 

make sure it's enabled to take multiple selections. It's on by default. To have take multiple selections, press CONTROL + LEFT CLICK and you should have both or all the selected items.

multiple_selecton.PNG

Two things I'd suggest to change:

1-Append all like tables together so you can utilize 1 measure to sum all locations

2-Your SUMX needs to change to SUM. 

Total Orcado = SUM(Append_Locations[Amount])

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @hnguy71, thanks for the reply

I ended up using Append and It really worked. I got a spreadsheet with almost 2kk of rows hahaha

But why should I use SUM instead of SUMX?

^_^ glad that worked out for you!

And since you're only doing a basic sum of total without filter context or additional column aggregations the basic sum will work. In addition, SUMX runs down every single row at a time, parses it, stores it in temporary memory, then sums your total, and finally releases the memory.  You mentioned that you have almost 200k of rows. Imagine a larger dataset with 10 million rows. That could potentially be a bottleneck if you're using the wrong function. Lastly, since it's a measure, it recalculates every time there's a change to your visuals.

Final note, you should drop your outer CALCULATE because you're not modifying the summation with any specific filters.... yet (unless you plan to later on).

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.