Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

New_be
Helper IV
Helper IV

Calculate values between 2 dates & between 2 different month

Hi Power Bi experts! 

Purpose of this question:

I need to calculate values between 2 dates based on payroll calculation. In my case for example this month is in Disember, they will pay starting date 23 Nov until 24 Dis. Same goes if this month is in November, they will pay starting from 23 Oct until 24 Nov.

Problem:

My problem is to calculate the values between that 2 dates because we want value of this month for example, but its also involve the previous month.

Desired Outcome:

When i click at month Disember (M12), it will show data from 23/11 - 24/12 and so on.

Capture9.PNG

Below is my calendar table:

Capture10.PNG

I try to solve this, but its doesn't work. Really need your guide. Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @New_be 

You could use DATESBETWEEN function in a Measure to calculate the values you want. For example:

Monthly Sales = 
VAR endMonthNR = SELECTEDVALUE('Calendar'[MonthNR])
VAR startMonthNR = IF(endMonthNR = 1, 12, endMonthNR - 1)
VAR endYearNR = SELECTEDVALUE('Calendar'[YearNR])
VAR startYearNR = IF(endMonthNR = 1, endYearNR - 1, endYearNR)
RETURN
CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales]),ALL('Calendar'),DATESBETWEEN('Calendar'[Date],DATE(startYearNR,startMonthNR,23),DATE(endYearNR,endMonthNR,24)))

I use SUM() in my example, you could replace it with other Aggregate function you need. Here is a sample PBIX file for it. Kindly let me know if this works.

Community Support Team _ Jing Zhang
If this post helps, please consider Accept it as the solution to help other members find it.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @New_be 

You could use DATESBETWEEN function in a Measure to calculate the values you want. For example:

Monthly Sales = 
VAR startMonthNR = IF(endMonthNR = 1, 12, endMonthNR - 1)
VAR endYearNR = SELECTEDVALUE('Calendar'[YearNR])
VAR startYearNR = IF(endMonthNR = 1, endYearNR - 1, endYearNR)
RETURN
CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales]),ALL('Calendar'),DATESBETWEEN('Calendar'[Date],DATE(startYearNR,startMonthNR,23),DATE(endYearNR,endMonthNR,24)))

I use SUM() in my example, you could replace it with other Aggregate function you need. Here is a sample PBIX file for it. Kindly let me know if this works.

Community Support Team _ Jing Zhang
If this post helps, please consider Accept it as the solution to help other members find it.

Sorry to ask, but what is the meaning of this code? 

VAR startMonthNR =
IF(
endMonthNR = 1,
endMonthNR - 1
)

@New_be In case you have data in multiple years, when you click at month January, it should show data from 23/12 (previous year) - 24/1 (current year), so I add code to change the startMonthNR to 12, otherwise it is (endMonthNR - 1). endMonthNR is the month you click at.

Ohhh i see.. Very smart! 😀
Thank you so much for your guide! Really appreciate it 😁

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.