Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rpul
Frequent Visitor

Calculate() using a filter comparison to another measure

There are similar questions to this (link1, link2), but so far none of the provided solutions have worked. I am trying to create the following measure:

CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(Table[column1]), FILTER(ALL(Table), Table[column2] > [Measure1]))

where Measure1 is calculated the median of Column2. This measure is excepted from page filters which is why I'm trying to use it as what I'd like is to get a count of the number of rows after a filter is applied where Column2 is greater than the overall median for column2.  Another way to write this measure would be:

CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(Table[Column1]), Table[Column2] > [Measure1])

Both of these attempts result in an error regarding using True/False expressions as a table filter expression which I don't quite understand given that if I just change the Measure1 in the second measure example to the actual median it works fine. If someone can better explain this error than the documentation that would also be helpful. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
rpul
Frequent Visitor

The best I could think to do was to calculate the first measure as a column instead and have it be stable across all rows. This limits the use of the measure as I'd hoped to be able to dynamically change both measures. Below is a sample dataset and more explanation of what I tried to accomplish.

powerbiexample.PNG

What I wanted was one measure that got the median for a given group or all persons:

CALCULATE(MEDIAN(Table[Stuff]), ALLEXCEPT(Table, Table[Stuff], Table[Group]))

And then to use this measure, given that it's unaffected by filters using 'Name' to calculate the following

CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(Table[Name]), Table[Stuff] > [previous measure])

Given that measures can't apparently be used as scalar value in a comparison, this isn't possible. So instead I calculate the median for all as a column and gave up on the dynamic part of figuring out the median by group.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @rpul,

Could you please tell me if your problem has been solved? If it is, could you please mark the helpful replies as Answered?

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
rpul
Frequent Visitor

The best I could think to do was to calculate the first measure as a column instead and have it be stable across all rows. This limits the use of the measure as I'd hoped to be able to dynamically change both measures. Below is a sample dataset and more explanation of what I tried to accomplish.

powerbiexample.PNG

What I wanted was one measure that got the median for a given group or all persons:

CALCULATE(MEDIAN(Table[Stuff]), ALLEXCEPT(Table, Table[Stuff], Table[Group]))

And then to use this measure, given that it's unaffected by filters using 'Name' to calculate the following

CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(Table[Name]), Table[Stuff] > [previous measure])

Given that measures can't apparently be used as scalar value in a comparison, this isn't possible. So instead I calculate the median for all as a column and gave up on the dynamic part of figuring out the median by group.

Hi @rpul,

Based on my test, you could refer to below foumula:

Measure 2 = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(Table1[Name]),FILTER('Table1','Table1'[Measure]<MAX('Table1'[Stuff])&&'Table1'[Name]<>MAX('Table1'[Name])))

Result:

1.PNG

You could also download the pbix file to have a view.

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.