Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Calculate total in last 12 month from 3 tables

What's wrong with below DAX to calculate the total for last 12 month from 3 tables.  i'm using calendar[date] connected the dates from 3 different tables.

Last12Month = calculate(('Data-ANZ DD'[TotANZDD]+'Data-Westpac CC'[TotCC]+'Data-Westpac DD'[TotWDD]),'Calendar'[Date]>=DATEADD(LASTDATE('Calendar'[Date].[Month]),-12,MONTH))

CRM.PNG

10 REPLIES 10
mattbrice
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Looking at your model there is no need to combine the 3 tables together.  You just need to create a measure to sum the relevant column in each table (which the three you list may already be?  in Dax the formatting guideline is to preface column names with the table name, and for measures just use the measure name. ) .  And the dot notion your use here "LASTDATE('Calendar'[Date].[Month])" isn't allowed in Dax (afaik anyway).

This formula should work:

Last12Month =
CALCULATE (
    [TotANZDD] + [TotCC] + [TotWDD],
    DATESBETWEEN (
        Calendar[Date],
        NEXTDAY ( SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR ( LASTDATE ( Calendar[Date] ) ) ),
        LASTDATE ( Calendar[Date] )
    )
)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mattbrice your fomular works but gave me the total for year 2017 (still very useful), but not the runing "last 12 month"?  thanks. 

Hi @Anonymous,

Have you resolved your issue? If it does, please mark the helpful reply as answer.  And feel free to ask any issue if you haven't resolve your problem.

Best Regards,
Angelia

The formula bases the date range on the last date visible in the current filter context.  You need to slice the data to final month or date and the formula should give you the previous year results you want.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mattbrice sorry i'm not quite get it.  i'm using calendar table date, which is Calendar = calendar("2015-1-1","2017-12-31")

below calculation gave me the total for "2017" but i need the running total for "last 12 month".  

CurrentYear = calculate([TotalAmount],DATESBETWEEN('Calendar'[Date],NEXTDAY((SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR(LASTDATE('Calendar'[Date])))),LASTDATE('Calendar'[Date])))

HI @Anonymous,

Were your three tables similar enough to generate a single table?   This will result in fewer/simpler measures and a faster model.

Cheers,

Phil

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Anonymous
Not applicable

no, they are different, but i do have a sum "Measure" which is the sum "amount" from each table, then sum those 3 "sums" together. 

Hi @Anonymous,

As the @mattbrice posted, please create a slicer including 'Calendar'[Date]. When you select the 2016/12/31, it will return the total sum 2016.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Add a filter/slicer for the year and month you want to be the last, then formula should work.

Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Would you consider combining the three tables into 1 (using either DAX or the Query Editor)?

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.