Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dataSeeker
Frequent Visitor

Calculate total help

I have a dax formula that is dividing the total by the count of non blank items to give me an average.  I need help  with the formula to get the total to be correct. Below is the dax measure:   Below that is a screenshot of the numbers that are created from the measure.  I added the correct amount in Column C. 

SalesSumAvg =
var nonblank = IF(ISBLANK([Sales1yrAgo]),0,1)+IF(ISBLANK([Sales2yrAgo]),0,1)+IF(ISBLANK([Sales3yrAgo]),0,1)+IF(ISBLANK([Sales4YrAgo]),0,1)
return
DIVIDE([SalesSum],nonblank,0)

Column C shows correct total.Column C shows correct total.
6 REPLIES 6
Sergiy
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi,

you need something like this:

Sum of Average Sales = 
VAR result = AVERAGEX(Sales,[Sales])
return
if(
    HASONEVALUE(Sales[Date]),
    result,
    SUMX(VALUES(Dates[Day]), result)
)

SumOfAverage.png

Is the "Sum of Average Sales" a new measure or an edit to my existing measure?

Your question was:

@dataSeeker wrote:

I need help  with the formula to get the total to be correct  ...  I added the correct amount in Column C. 

So I showed an example of how to construct a measure that for each row calculates an Average but for totals instead of Average it calculates Sum.

(By the way, I have no idea how you happen to get 5225987.87 for the Totals)

SumOfAverage.png

@Sergiy wrote:

So I showed an example of how to construct a measure that for each row calculates an Average but for totals instead of Average it calculates Sum.

(By the way, I have no idea how you happen to get 5225987.87 for the Totals)

SumOfAverage.png

Power BI calculated the 5225987.87.  I tried using your formula and it doesn't sum the total.  Do i want to check if there is one value for the date or day of the week?

You can have a look at how it works in my sample file:

pbix + data files

Your sample file doesn't update the average sales when i click on a Month or Day.  Annotation 2019-05-08 110820.jpg

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.