Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RyanTay
Frequent Visitor

Calculate total Tool count in certain month IF has specific values condition

Hi , I need some helps on the Power BI formula:

I have a table like below:

MonthToolNoPValue
Jan-21A101.15
Jan-21B261.23
Jan-21M321.06
Feb-21K341.51
Feb-21R851.48

I would like to find out the total number of tools in Jan-21; with PValue falls between 1.10 to 1.50

Note: ToolNo is string.

The result I expected is  2;

which is the total tool count of A10 and B26 (in Jan-21).

Please help. Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@RyanTay hey just sent you the email back, here is the measure.

toolcount new = 
COUNTX ( VALUES ( 'Table'[ToolNo] ), IF ( [Avg PValue] >= 1.1 && [Avg PValue] <= 1.5, 1 ) )

Check my latest blog post Improve UX: Show Year in Legend When Using Time Intelligence Measures | PeryTUS IT Solutions  I would ❤ Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@RyanTay hey just sent you the email back, here is the measure.

toolcount new = 
COUNTX ( VALUES ( 'Table'[ToolNo] ), IF ( [Avg PValue] >= 1.1 && [Avg PValue] <= 1.5, 1 ) )

Check my latest blog post Improve UX: Show Year in Legend When Using Time Intelligence Measures | PeryTUS IT Solutions  I would ❤ Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Many Thanks for your help!

I get what I want!

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@RyanTay at this point it looks like we are not looking at things the same way. It will be easier if you share pbix file using one drive/google drive with the expected output. Remove any sensitive information before sharing.

Sorry Parry2k, I don't know how to share file thru onedrive.

I just emailed the testing file and .pbix to your email -- parvinder@perytus.com

Could you please help to check your mailbox?

Thanks.

Hi Parry2k, I hope you received my testing file and .pbix.

Able to solve it? Thanks for your help. 

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@RyanTay your original queston didn't have these details, if I understood correctly change the measure as below:

Count Tools = 
CALCULATE ( DISTINCTCOUNT( Table[Tool] ), Table[PValue] >= 1.1, Table[PValue] <= 1.5 )

Check my latest blog post Compare Budgeted Scenarios vs. Actuals I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

@parry2k 

Thanks for your quick response.

I still can't get the results. Seems like the Dinstictcount gets each line Pvalue (between 1.15 & 1.50) instead of Average Pvalue per Tool.

Sorry. Maybe I give one example. 

ToolNo      PValue

A10            1.15

A10            2.00

G12            1.33

A10 (Average Pvalue per tool) = (1.15+2.00)/2 = 1.58

Its average Pvalue fall outside the range of 1.15-1.50

So results I wish to get = 1; only G12 should be counted.

If use your Disticntcount formula, I will get 2; it counted A10-1.15 and G12-1.33

Any idea could be formulated as per above scenerio?

Many thanks!

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@RyanTay add the following measure

Count Tools = 
CALCULATE ( COUNTROWS ( Table ), Table[PValue] >= 1.1, Table[PValue] <= 1.5 )

In a table visual, add Month and Above measure and you will get the count.

Check my latest blog post Compare Budgeted Scenarios vs. Actuals I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

@parry2k 

Thanks Parry2k.

I get similar results but I face one problem because I have repeated ToolNo with different PValue.

For example: A10 is repeated.

Month ___  ToolNO  ___ PValue

Jan-11  ___  A10       ___  1.15

Jan-11 ___   A10       ___  1.50

By using your formula, I get total count of 3.

Countrows counted A10 as 2 lines. 

I expect to get result of 2 only based on average Pvalue per tool.

After Averaging per tool, A10 average Pvalue is 1.33 (still within the range of 1.10-1.50).

But it should count as 1 only instead of 2 rows.

Please help. Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.