Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jklein
Frequent Visitor

Calculate the sum of a metric based on most recent date, with multiple records for a single date

I am building a time tracking report for my company so that leadership can view each employee's weekly time entered. The way our system works is if an employee enters time, "8 hours" and then updates that same day's entry to say "10 hours" it enters a new record. So the sum for that day is "18 hours". I want only to include the later entry. I have a field UPDATED_AT which I am trying to use in a filter to accomplish this. 

This is what I have:

CALCULATE([Time in Hours], TIMEENTRIES[UPDATED_AT]=MAX(TIMEENTRIES[UPDATED_AT]))

But it is only returning the sum based on the single max date, so if the employee added 8 hours at the end of the week, it is showing 8 hours as it is the latest updated_date. How can I get write this so it knows to ignore the older entry for a single day?

jklein_0-1670428361050.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @jklein ,

Is there both the column I entered and the updated column in the table? If so, you can create another column based on them.

Create a column.

column=if('table'[hours]>'table'[updated],'table'[updated],'table'[hours])

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 

If it does not help, please provide more details with your desired output and pbix file without privacy information (or some sample data) .

Best Regards
Community Support Team _ Polly

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jklein ,

I have some doubt. Please help. 

If I enter 8 on Monday,  then it will update another to 10, so the all value is 18. If I enter 8 on Sunday, then it still is 8, and the total value is 8?

Is that what I understand?

If it does not help, please provide more details with your desired output and pbix file without privacy information (or some sample data) .

Best Regards

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-rongtiep-msft No. Say you enter 8 hours for the day today. But then you end up working 10 hours. So you change your entry in the system to 10 hours. There are now 2 records: the one you entered as 8 and the one you entered as 10. So in powerbi it is taking all the records for that day and summing them up, but I need it to ignore the older record (the 8 hours) and keep the new record (10 hours). Have a look at the screenshot (the bottom chart), it will explain what I am saying.

Hi @jklein ,

Is there both the column I entered and the updated column in the table? If so, you can create another column based on them.

Create a column.

column=if('table'[hours]>'table'[updated],'table'[updated],'table'[hours])

Best Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.