Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Calculate the first instance of "Yes"

I'm hoping someone would be able to help.. Let me give a back drop of how I got to where I am...

I have a form in which users submit their response. One of the form field is multiple selection, so the user can select as many options for the field. I use a PA flow that takes the form response and save it to a SharePoint List.

I use Power BI to source the data from the SharePoint List. This is an example of what the data looks like on the SharePoint List.

NameStateAttending EventEvent being heldTopics for event
Joe DoeNew YorkYesMarathon["Running","Networking","CentralPark"]
Mary SmithCaliforniaYesUltra marathon["Big Sur","Desert","Networking"]
Peter BrownIllinoisYesMarathon["Running","Networking","Great Lakes"]
Humpty DumptyNew JerseyYesJersey Shores["Beach","Networking","Running"]
Roger RabbitConnecticutNo  

I use the Power BI Split Column (by Row) to get each Topic for event column separate on its own row. When I do that it repeats the data for each of the respondent multiple times. So I end up having Peter Brown on 3 lines and it appears as if Peter Brown filled out the form three times. I deleted the Split Column (by Row) and then used Split Colum (by Column) and it kinda work but I end up having Topics for event in 3 or 4 columns. I'm able to count Peter Brown as Yes just one time but I'm not able to show the number of times Topics for event "Networking" occurred.

I appreciate any help and hoping I make sense.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ChrisMendoza
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

@Anonymous - I really think you'll be better off by using the data like:

image.png

I am not really sure how you're trying to visualize the data however you can use something like:

Count of Submissions = DISTINCTCOUNT(TableName[Name])

to get something like:

image.png

see attached.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ChrisMendoza- Just earlier, I started out using DistinctCount and got distracted. I'm going back to this and will let you know how it works. Appreciate you looking at this and responding!

ChrisMendoza
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

@Anonymous - I really think you'll be better off by using the data like:

image.png

I am not really sure how you're trying to visualize the data however you can use something like:

Count of Submissions = DISTINCTCOUNT(TableName[Name])

to get something like:

image.png

see attached.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.