Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Calculate the category average of the selected item

Hello,

I need to calculate a measure for make a comparison between an value selected and the average value of te category his belongs.

E-R:

gpessi_0-1638852286571.png

In the fact table I have my data. Depending on the Symbols that I select in the "Tickets" table, I get a value x. What I want to know is how to calculate the average value of the Industry to which this ticket belongs (Table "Industry").

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

According to your description conditions, you can add the following conditions, select the specified symbol and calculate its corresponding avg.

M =
VAR sel =
    SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Table'[symbol] )
RETURN
    IF (
        MAX ( 'Table'[symbol] ) = sel,
        AVERAGEX ( VALUES ( Ticket[Ticket ID] ), CALCULATE ( SUM ( 'Table'[Value] ) ) ),
        BLANK ()
    )

If there is still confusion, can you provide some test data and screenshots of the expected results, and I will answer you as soon as possible.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I show you an example of what I want based on some supposed data:

The average value of the sector is calculated based on the average of the values of each company that belongs to the health sector.

SectorAverage value

Bless you

Banks

Constructor

CompanyValueSector
A15

Bless you

B5Sañud
C5Bench
D20Constructor

This is my dashboard:

gpessi_0-1639168907614.png

I want to calculate a metric that is dynamically modified depending on the company you choose. For example, it belongs to the HEALTH sector. Therefore, I want my metric to return the average value for health. However, if I choose another company I want the metric to detect which sector it belongs to and then calculate the average of the sector.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

do what to sum first and do avg ? like some tll ticket number then avg ?

AverageX(Values(Ticket[Ticket ID]) , Calculate(Sum(Fact[Value]) ) )

Anonymous
Not applicable

I want to average the value for the industry. The difficulty I find is that I need the industry to be selected based on the symbol that I select

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.