Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Calculate the average of values across several columns in same row

I'm trying to calculate the average across serveral columns of data but a single row, but the examples i've looked it it only involves columns

Capture.PNG

So for above i would like the average for the country of Albania from 1995-2000 and the result shown in a seperate column called Average by Country. Been a novice to Power BI i thought this could be achieved using Quick Measure.

Why can't you select rows in Power BI and only Columns???. I was thinking you could select a row then use New Quick Measure

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
affan
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Anonymous

You can create a calculated column

Average by Country = VAR _Total=[1995]+[1996]+[1997]+[1998]+[1999]+[2000]
var _avg= _Total/6
return 
_avg

You ca find the sample pbix file here

If this helped you, please mark this post as an accepted solution and like to give KUDOS .

Regards,

Affan

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous,

By my tests, both of solution from affan and AlB should be helpful. If you will have more column for year, the solution of AlB will be more simpler.

If you use the solution from AlB, you could create the measure with the formula below.

Measure =
CALCULATE (
    AVERAGE ( Table2[Value] ),
    ALLEXCEPT ( Table2, Table2[Country Name], Table2[Country Code] )
)

In addition, for your scenario, if you want to unpivot columns for the year columns, please replace the null value to 0, otherwise it will ignore the null value after unpivot columns.

Capture.PNG

If you have solved your problem, please accept the replies making sense as solution to your question so that people who may have the same question can get the solution directly.

If you still need help, please feel free to ask.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Its clear i need to scrub up on the power of DAX

After Unpivot the table as @AlB suggested I used the measure @v-piga-msft suggested. My version below

Measure = CALCULATE ( AVERAGE('Tourism Numbers'[Value] ),ALLEXCEPT('Tourism Numbers','Tourism Numbers'[Country Name],'Tourism Numbers'[Country Code]))

i get the warning: The AVERAGE function only accepts a column reference as an argument.

In this instance I can confirm @affan method is indeed the quickest way to solve this solution, but none the less i'm intrested in getting the Unpivot Scenario working as it seems for want of a better word cleaner should more data be added at a later date
affan
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Anonymous

You can create a calculated column

Average by Country = VAR _Total=[1995]+[1996]+[1997]+[1998]+[1999]+[2000]
var _avg= _Total/6
return 
_avg

You ca find the sample pbix file here

If this helped you, please mark this post as an accepted solution and like to give KUDOS .

Regards,

Affan

AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous

I think it would be best to restructure the data in your table. Use the Pivot/Unpivot feature inthe query editor to get the table in the form shown below. Then you can do what you are looking for in a much more convenient way. 

Country          Code      Year         Value

Albania            ALB       1995        304000

Albania            ALB       1996        287000

Albania            ALB       1997        119000

Afghanistan     AFG       1995       

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.