Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Rymatt830
Helper I
Helper I

Calculate the average of values across several columns in same row?

For each observation (row), I am trying to add a calculated column that displays the average across seven columns and I am stuck. I guess what I am looking for is a "row average" that will ignore null values. Here's the structure:

Capture.PNG

For the first observation, PCODE 8411, the average of these seven columns, ignoring null values, is [(1+4+1+1)/4] = 1.75.

There are approximately 30 columns, so I only want to average these seven.

Any help would be great!

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Rymatt830

You could do two calculated columns, one for total between all 7 columns, and one that calculates the number of non blank columns.

Avg Across columns.png

Total Across Columns:=([a]+[b]+[c]+[d]+[e]+[f]+[g])

Non Blank Columns =IF(ISBLANK([a]),0,1)+IF(ISBLANK([b]),0,1)+IF(ISBLANK([c]),0,1)+IF(ISBLANK([d]),0,1)+IF(ISBLANK([e]),0,1)+IF(ISBLANK([f]),0,1)+IF(ISBLANK([g]),0,1)

Avg=[Total across columns]/[Non Blank Columns]

Please mark it as a solution or give a kudo if it works for you, otherwise let me know if you run into an issue and I'll do my best to assist. 

Thanks,

Ryan Durkin

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
alapandaman

Greetings!

How can you average two columns generating random numbers at the same time. The average result is not correct in output. Is it possible or not?

Query

Field:           ITR                     PRIMER DFT MIN: Int((90-75+1)*Rnd([ITR])+75)      PRIMER DFT MAX: Int((90-5+1)*Rnd([ITR])+75)        AVE: ([PRIMER DFT MIN]+[PRIMER DFT MAX])/2

Table:          DFT Readings   

Run Output

ITR         PRIMER DFT MIN         PRIMER DFT MAX       AVE

1                     82                                   87                      86

2                     75                                   78                      76

3                     77                                   85                      81

Your response will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Alex

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Rymatt830 easy way to do is go to query editor after importing your data, make sure data type of seven columns is whole number.

Capture.PNG

Then select all seven columns, under Transform tab click Unpivot Columns. This will give you table as below.

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

Then under Transform tab click Group By and fill details as below and click OK.

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

Close&Apply and everytime you refresh you will get these steps applied.

Thank you for the suggestion, and this solution would be ideal if I didn't have 30 additional columns in my query. Also, I have a lot of records in the query so duplicating it may be a bad idea.

You can add a column in the query editor like this:

Table.AddColumn(#"PreviousStep", "NNCount", each List.NonNullCount({[A],[B]}))

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Hi Imke,

Thank you for the response. This looks like a great solution; but, can you explain it in more detail, please? Do the "A" and "B" reference column names? So, would the formula for my data be,

Table.AddColumn(#"PreviousStep", "NNCount", each List.NonNullCount({[Bin (DSCR)],[Bin (NCF)], [Bin (OpEx)] ...}))

That's correct: List.NonNullCount counts the number of items in your list that are not null. So you don't have to write a condition for every column separately.

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

I have the same question for averaging over 3 columns, some cells having blank values.  I am unable to replicate this formula, can you help?

Hi @swragg ,

I believe you need a bit of a different approach here. Add a column like so:

List.Average ( List.Select ( Record.FieldValues ( [FirstColumn] & [SecondColumn] & [ThirdColumn] ), (x) => x <> null ) )

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Rymatt830

You could do two calculated columns, one for total between all 7 columns, and one that calculates the number of non blank columns.

Avg Across columns.png

Total Across Columns:=([a]+[b]+[c]+[d]+[e]+[f]+[g])

Non Blank Columns =IF(ISBLANK([a]),0,1)+IF(ISBLANK([b]),0,1)+IF(ISBLANK([c]),0,1)+IF(ISBLANK([d]),0,1)+IF(ISBLANK([e]),0,1)+IF(ISBLANK([f]),0,1)+IF(ISBLANK([g]),0,1)

Avg=[Total across columns]/[Non Blank Columns]

Please mark it as a solution or give a kudo if it works for you, otherwise let me know if you run into an issue and I'll do my best to assist. 

Thanks,

Ryan Durkin

Thanks, rdurkin, this is a great solution.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.