Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Nachospt
Frequent Visitor

Calculate text from row with top value from a filtered table

Hello,

I have this "Table1".

Column1Column2Column3

AX01/01/2017
BY07/03/2017
CZ22/04/2017
AX09/07/2017
BW30/10/2017
CU16/11/2017
AY18/12/2017

I want a measure/column that from the rows with same Column1 value as the current row, gives the Column2 value of the row with Column3 highest value. I have got this with this formula and a matrix visual, but i have not got it with just a formula.

Measure = CALCULATE ( LASTNONBLANK ( Table1[Column2]; MAX ( Table1[Column3] ) ) )

This is the kind of thing i have tried:

Measure =
CALCULATE (
    LASTNONBLANK ( Table1[Column2]; MAX ( Table1[Column3] ) );
    CALCULATETABLE ( table1; FILTER ( table1; Table1[Column1] = Table1[Column1] ) )
)

Thanks!
Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Nachospt,

I want a measure/column that from the rows with same Column1 value as the current row, gives the Column2 value of the row with Column3 highest value. I have got this with this formula and a matrix visual, but i have not got it with just a formula.

If I understand you correctly, you should be able to use the formula below to create new calculate column in your table to get the expected result in your scenario. Smiley Happy

Column = 
VAR maxColumn3 =
    CALCULATE ( MAX ( Table1[Column3] ), ALLEXCEPT ( Table1, Table1[Column1] ) )
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        FIRSTNONBLANK ( Table1[Column2], 1 ),
        FILTER (
            ALL ( Table1 ),
            Table1[Column1] = EARLIER ( Table1[Column1] )
                && Table1[Column3] = maxColumn3
        )
    )

c1.PNG

Regards

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Rfranca
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

Hi, 

Use an aggregate function.

This code:

MAxDATA = MAX(table[colum3])

The new table will look like this, is this what you need?

Clipboard01.gif

v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Nachospt,

If I understand you correctly, you should be able to use the formula below to create new calculate column in your table to get the expected result in your scenario. Smiley Happy

Column = 
VAR maxColumn3 =
    CALCULATE ( MAX ( Table1[Column3] ), ALLEXCEPT ( Table1, Table1[Column1] ) )
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        FIRSTNONBLANK ( Table1[Column2], 1 ),
        FILTER (
            ALL ( Table1 ),
            Table1[Column1] = EARLIER ( Table1[Column1] )
                && Table1[Column3] = maxColumn3
        )
    )

c1.PNG

Regards

Yes, that works perfectly 🙂
Thanks!

Do you know any resource or page to learn when to use an inline VAR like you did?

Regards!
Nacho

Hi @Nachospt

Based on my experience, the key to use the VAR function is to understand when and how a variable expression is calculated.

Stores the result of an expression as a named variable, which can then be passed as an argument to other measure expressions. Once resultant values have been calculated for a variable expression, those values do not change, even if the variable is referenced in another expression.

In addition, followings are some good articles about using variables in DAX for your reference. Smiley Happy

https://exceleratorbi.com.au/using-variables-dax/

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/defining-variables-in-dax-queries/

Regards

Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

I cannot understand your question.  The two images in your question are exactly the same.  What is the problem?

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.