Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Calculate table with top 1 value as variable

Hi guys,

Is it possible to use CALCULATETABLE using Top1 value as variable?

topwells = CALCULATETABLE('WellList', WellList[Operator] = Top 1 value from column

Thanks,

7 REPLIES 7
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

Based on your description, I created data to reproduce your scenario.

Welllist:

e1.PNG

You may create a calculated table as below.

Table = 
FILTER(
    'WellList',
    WellList[Operator] in TOPN(1,DISTINCT(WellList[Operator]),WellList[Operator])
)

Result:

e2.PNG

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would need to create a table for this right?

I am trying to show only the values where the operator name = Max(Well list[Operator]), tis case i would like to chart just the 3 with XTO valuessecond.PNGtable.PNG

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Yes.  You can use the TOPN() function in a CALCULATETABLE() or in a CALCULATE (or by itself to make a table).  Here are a couple links to get your started.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/topn-function-dax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEUbzIcCp5w

If this works for you, please mark it as the solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @mahoneypat ,

So, using the top n as a VAR and then add it to the equation?

Would you be able to guide me a bit more?  i used:

topwells = CALCULATETABLE('WellList', WellList[Operator] = TOPN(1, WellList, WellList[Operator]))

but i got a :

A function 'TOPN' has been used in a True/False expression that is used as a table filter expression. This is not allowed.

Can you provide some sample data?  For example, in what regard is the operator considered the "top"?  Alphabetically? Some measure results?

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, Operator is a list of "Clients" and the top refers to the current Operator doing some work, so the top1 operator in the list is the current one working, however that name will filter the table to show all the previous work from that Operator, in python would be like:

df[df['Operator']=="Client1"]

How do you know they are the current one working?  Is there a DateTime columns too?  A job ID?

What is the final visual you'd like to create?  Making a calculated table will not respond to slicers, so it is usually better to make a measure that can be used in dynamice visuals.  For example, you can have the user select an operator from a slicer, and then all the visuals will update to show the work by that operator, etc.

Please provide sample data input and desired output.

Regards,

Pat

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.