Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Bennasy23

Calculate sum time per categores

Hello in data table i have column "Time spent" column format is "Time (hh:mm:ss).

When i add "Time spent" in chart, in value, i cant sum, average and so on...

It is possible sum time in POWER BI ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Bennasy23,

AFAIK, common charts will display the summarized values based on the current category(axis, legend). (For date/time type values, they can't able to be aggregated.)
Perhaps you can try to convert your duration to total second format then you can simply use them on chart value fields.

Aggregating Duration/Time - Microsoft Power BI Community
Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Blackhag

I've registed specifically to answer this, as i've found a very simple answer:

if you don't mind that the displayed value will be a decimal number (i.e. 1.25 instead of 1:15:00) - you should just do as follow:

1. in the query - change the "Time spent" field from "time" to "decimal number".

2. still in the query - select the column, go to Transform > Standard (Number column) > Multiply > and enter 24 as the multiplied number.

that's it!

now you can sum your data in the field and recive the amount of hours you used for that task.  you just have to remember that values will be decimal so if you see 1.5 it means 1 and a half hours (and NOT 1 hour and 50 minutes).

Enjoy 😉

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Bennasy23,

AFAIK, common charts will display the summarized values based on the current category(axis, legend). (For date/time type values, they can't able to be aggregated.)
Perhaps you can try to convert your duration to total second format then you can simply use them on chart value fields.

Aggregating Duration/Time - Microsoft Power BI Community
Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
selimovd
Super User
Super User

Hey @Bennasy23 ,

in general you can't sum values with the format time directly.

You have to do a workaround. For example to calculate everything in seconds, then you can sum them up. Then you have to change the display in hh:mm:ss with a DAX measure.

If you need any help please let me know.
If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

yes i need help. Could u help me ?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.