Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sudhakar111
Helper IV
Helper IV

Calculate sum of duration between dates in minutes

Hello All,

I am trying to create a formula to display the duration between dates in minutes. The requirement is to sum up all the

durations in minutes and show in a separate card visual.

The below formula works perfectly to show the duration for each row in a table visual.

Duration = DATEDIFF(Max( 'Step 2'[Visit Start] ),Max( 'Step 2'[Visit End]),MINUTE)

Duration.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @sudhakar111 ,

Sorry,I misunderstood your point.

First create a column as below:

_Combine = 'Visit'[Visit Start]&" "&'Visit'[Visit End]

Then create a measure as below:

Duration2 = 
SUMX(SUMMARIZE('Visit','Visit'[_Combine],"_Duration",MAX('Visit'[Duration_column])),[_Duration])

And you will see:

v-kelly-msft_0-1617937895695.png

For the related .pbix file,pls see attached.

Best Regards,
Kelly

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@sudhakar111 , Two ways

Duration =

Sumx( 'Step 2',DATEDIFF(( 'Step 2'[Visit Start] ),( 'Step 2'[Visit End]),MINUTE))

with some group by in values
Duration =

Sumx(values( 'Step 2'[ID]) ,DATEDIFF(Max( 'Step 2'[Visit Start] ),Max( 'Step 2'[Visit End]),MINUTE))

@amitchandak  Thanks a lot. I have tried both the formula, But they doesnt seem to be working.

The first one - Sumx( 'Step 2',DATEDIFF(( 'Step 2'[Visit Start] ),( 'Step 2'[Visit End]),MINUTE))

is giving a very big number.

The Second one - Sumx(values( 'Step 2'[ID]) ,DATEDIFF(Max( 'Step 2'[Visit Start] ),Max( 'Step 2'[Visit End]),MINUTE)) 

There is no unique ID in the data for grouping. Created an index column and tried the formula, even this is giving a big number.

@amitchandak  

The first one - Sumx( 'Step 2',DATEDIFF(( 'Step 2'[Visit Start] ),( 'Step 2'[Visit End]),MINUTE))

works fine if there are no duplicate records for visit start and visit end. The data set i have has many repeating date/time. How do i get distinct visit start and visit end with durations?

Hi @sudhakar111 ,

So you wanna sum up all the duration values or just sum those distince visit start and visit end durations?

If possible,could you pls provide some sample data with expected output?

Much appreciated.

Best Regards,
Kelly

@v-kelly-msft  i want to sum the distinct visit start and visit end duration.Please find the sample file on the link below. on the card visual i want to show the distinct sum of duration.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-4XmNctls5BI_brj3vMaHvNu194aD3BS/view?usp=sharing

Hi @sudhakar111 ,

Duration_column = DATEDIFF('Visit'[Visit Start],'Visit'[Visit End],MINUTE)

Duration2 = 
SUMX(VALUES('Visit'[Duration_column]),'Visit'[Duration_column])

And you will see:

v-kelly-msft_0-1617691249909.png

Best Regards,
Kelly

Thanks a lot @v-kelly-msft , The sum of duration on the table and the card visual are not matching. May be a few rows are not adding up on the card visual.

Hi @sudhakar111 ,

Do you mean that the result with the sample data is not correct?Do you wanna add up all the values shown below?

v-kelly-msft_0-1617764682073.png

I've checked that the result is the total of all the distinct values.If I understand wrongly,pls correct me.

Best Regards,
Kelly

@v-kelly-msft   If you look at the table visual, duration 61 minutes is repeated 3 times. I want all the 3 repeated values to be added to the sum, because their visit start/time and visit end/time are unique. I want distinct visit start and visit end dates and their durations to add up. The durations may repeat.

Hi @sudhakar111 ,

Sorry,I misunderstood your point.

_Combine = 'Visit'[Visit Start]&" "&'Visit'[Visit End]

Duration2 = 
SUMX(SUMMARIZE('Visit','Visit'[_Combine],"_Duration",MAX('Visit'[Duration_column])),[_Duration])

And you will see:

v-kelly-msft_0-1617937895695.png

Best Regards,
Kelly

Thanks a lot @v-kelly-msft. This is the result i want.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.