Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

swestendorp
Helper I
Helper I

Calculate score for each day

Good day, 

I have two tables containing (1) employeeNo, appraisal date and expiry date of the appraisal and (2) a date table. I want to visualize the rolling score of how many employees have a valid appraisal (expiry date <= today) at a given date (visualized in a graph). There might be an easy solution, but I can't wrap my head around it. 

I tried something like this, but it returns an error because I used LASTDATE as a true/false expression in a table filter expression which is not allowed

Valid appraisals =

CALCULATE (

COUNTROWS ( 'Annual appraisal table' ),

'Annual appraisal table'[ExpiryDate] >= LASTDATE ( 'Date table'[Date] )

)

/ CALCULATE (

COUNTROWS ( 'Annual appraisal table' ),

LASTDATE ( 'Date table'[Date] )

)

I guess there needs to be some kind of relationship between this table and the date table? I am not sure which colums to link. 

As an example, looking at below table, today I'd have 2 valid appraisals against a total of 6 appraisals = a 33% score, whereas in September I'd have had 3 valid appraisal = a 50% score. Null should count as expired. 

EmployeeNoAppraisal dateExpiry date
aaa7-7-20187-7-2019
bbb28-9-201528-9-2016
ccc19-9-201719-9-2018
dddnullnull
eee23-10-201723-10-2018
fff29-12-201729-12-2018

Pleased to hear how you think I should solve this. Thanks a lot in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @swestendorp

If I understand correctly, what you want is:

Number of appraisals that took place (started) in the past AND will expire in the future

divided by

Number of appraisals that took place (started) in the past

with the date determining the frontier between past and future LASTDATE (period selected). If this is correct, then:

1. Create a relationship between 'Date'[Date] and 'Annual appraisal table'[Appraisal Date]

2. Create a measure like the one below.

3. Set the columns you're interested in from 'Date' (probably the months) on the rows of a matrix and use the measure

Note: I have not tested it as i do not have your sample data but see if this can help. Attaching a sample data model on top of any pictures when explaining what your issue is makes things easier for people trying to help.

DIVIDE (
    COUNTROWS (
        FILTER (
            CALCULATETABLE (
                'Annual appraisal table',
                FILTER ( ALL ( 'Date' ), 'Date'[Date] <= MAX ( 'Date'[Date] ) )
            ),
            'Annual appraisal table'[ExpiryDate] >= MAX ( 'Date table'[Date] )
        )
    ),
    COUNTROWS (
        CALCULATETABLE (
        )
    )
)

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

From the data you provided, wouldn't there be 3? bbb, ccc and eee?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Yes, you are right, my bad. I was thinking of the last day of September, which then another one would have expired. Been Power BI'ing all day, not very sharp anymore! 

Apart from that detail, was my question clear enough? Was a bit struggling with how to put in words 🙂

Thanks for your help!

Hi @swestendorp

If I understand correctly, what you want is:

Number of appraisals that took place (started) in the past AND will expire in the future

divided by

Number of appraisals that took place (started) in the past

with the date determining the frontier between past and future LASTDATE (period selected). If this is correct, then:

1. Create a relationship between 'Date'[Date] and 'Annual appraisal table'[Appraisal Date]

2. Create a measure like the one below.

3. Set the columns you're interested in from 'Date' (probably the months) on the rows of a matrix and use the measure

Note: I have not tested it as i do not have your sample data but see if this can help. Attaching a sample data model on top of any pictures when explaining what your issue is makes things easier for people trying to help.

DIVIDE (
    COUNTROWS (
        FILTER (
            CALCULATETABLE (
            ),
            'Annual appraisal table'[ExpiryDate] >= MAX ( 'Date table'[Date] )
        )
    ),
    COUNTROWS (
        CALCULATETABLE (
        )
    )
)

Hi @AlB you are AWESOME! This did the trick, thanks a lot for your support!!

@swestendorp

My pleasure Smiley Happy

Hi @AIB, 

Happy new year! 

Your solution works perfectly, but could you also help me out with transforming this measure into a rolling 12 month score? 

Much appreciated!

Thanks,

Sifra

Hi @swestendorp

A fantastic new year to you too!! Smiley Happy

Can you try to explain what you need exactly a bit more?

Of course 🙂

I used your solution for another case. I want to be able to calculate a score basis a rolling year, so for every max on my X-axis, I want to take into a account 12 months of data. When I try to re-write the statement to a 12 month rolling score, I get below result. I guess I am doing something wrong, but I can't fix it
Capture.JPG

Syntax I used looks as follows:

Term Performance RY = DIVIDE (
    COUNTROWS (
        FILTER (
            CALCULATETABLE (
                'Terms on board',
                FILTER ( ALL ( 'Date table' ), 'Date table'[Date] >= MAX('Date table'[Date]) - (365) && 'Date table'[Date] <= MAX ( 'Date table'[Date] ) )
            ),
            'Terms on board'[Within target] = "WITHIN TARGET" ) 
        )
    COUNTROWS (
        CALCULATETABLE (
            'Terms on board',
            FILTER ( ALL ( 'Date table' ), 'Date table'[Date] >= MAX('Date table'[Date]) - (365) && 'Date table'[Date] <= MAX ( 'Date table'[Date] ) )
        ) 
    )
)

I don't understand why the result drops in 2019. What am I doing wrong? 

@swestendorp

Hmmm... I don't see anything wrong with your code. What field are you placing on the x-axis of the chart? 

@AlB

I use my date table on the x-axis, which i've linked to the table using the 'LatestOBDate' column within the table.

When I use the 'LastFrom[Board]' column, the graph looks fine. This is not correct however, as I don't have a date for each row. Will those row be included in the calculation either way if I use the 'LastFrom[Board]' column to link my date table? 

Captures.JPG

@swestendorp

I'll try to have a look later on. Can you share the pbix?

Hi @AlB Thanks again for helping me out, but I think I have fixed it. I have changed the last part of the code to "

&& 'Date table'[Date] < MAX( 'Date table'[Date] " i/o "&& 'Date table'[Date] <= MAX( 'Date table'[Date]". 

Capture3.JPG

@swestendorp

Cool. Well done

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.