Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Calculate running total on a measure

Hi,

I have a measure "ranked" that creates a numbered list starting at 1, based off the index in the source table. I can't use the index itself in the visual I need to filter by an item, so the index would be all over the place as i have many different items

Ranked = RANKX( ALLSELECTED( Table1 ) , CALCULATE( SUM( Table1[Index] ) ),,ASC,DENSE )

When I try to calculate the SUM of PLANNED_QTY referencing the "Ranked" measure, this is the DAX expression I used:

COLUMN1 = CALCULATE(SUM('Table1'[PLANNED_QTY]),FILTER('Table1','Table1'[Ranked]<=EARLIER('Table1'[Ranked])))

The error message I get says the first argument of EARLIER/EARLIEST is not a valid column reference. From what I can tell, EARLIER does not work on a measure.

I also cannot filter by the date column as there are multiple instances of the same date, that is why I needed a list of 1-100+ using the rankx function

Is there any other way to calculate a running total on the PLANNED_QTY?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

HI @Anonymous 

You can use the below code

Sales Running Total 2 = 
CALCULATE(
    SUM(Table1[PLANNED_QTY]),
    FILTER(
       ALLSELECTED(Table1),
       Table1[Index] <= MAX( Table1[Index] )
    )
)

Regards,
Mariusz

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Stachu
Community Champion
Community Champion

I don't really get the requirement here, can you share sample data? below is the post that guides on how to structure posts most efficiently
How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 

as far as I can understand you need the sum of planned quanitity per item, correct? I don't really get the constraint on the use of date and why exactly the index/rank are needed, but that should become more clear once I see the data

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Thank you for the kudos 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is my data

Index, PLANNED_QTY and Date are columns, Ranked is the RANKX measure (based on Index when filtered by item)

Index      Item      Ranked      Date     PLANNED_QTY

313         A            1              6/5/19    -100

398         A            2              6/6/19    -200

409         A            3              6/6/19     500

What I need it to look like:

Index      Item          Ranked      Date     PLANNED_QTY    Running Total

313         A               1               6/5/19    -100                    -100

398         A               2               6/6/19    -200                    -300

409         A               3               6/6/19     500                      200

HI @Anonymous 

You can use the below code

Sales Running Total 2 = 
CALCULATE(
    SUM(Table1[PLANNED_QTY]),
    FILTER(
       ALLSELECTED(Table1),
       Table1[Index] <= MAX( Table1[Index] )
    )
)

Regards,
Mariusz

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Stachu
Community Champion
Community Champion

these tables are the output, correct? how do the input tables look like?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Thank you for the kudos 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Refer this video, hope this solve your challenge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5k

4fD1YJrQ

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.