Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bsas
Post Patron
Post Patron

Calculate revenue per month based on duration

Hi All,

I have trouble with showing revenue per month based on duration (e.g. there is 1 project with amount = 10 000 per month for 4 months started in February, another with amount = 5 000 for 2 moths started in march. I want to show: feb = 10 000, mar = 15 000, apr = 15 000, may = 10 000 june = 0. I have column with start date (e.g. 7/12/2017), duration (3, 5, 7) and revenue. 

Table with data:

Project amountdurationStart date
project110 00042/1/2017
project25 00023/13/2017

Expected result:

revenuemonth
10 000February
15 000March
15 000April
10 000May
0June

I have created measure below. I've tried to use calculate...but i have no idea how to add duration here. Could someone help me with this.

billing_1 = CALCULATE(SUM(tab[rate]),
FILTER(Filter(ALLSELECTED(tab),tab[start date]),
AND(tab[start date] <= MAX(tab[start date]),
tab[start date] >= MIN(tab[start date]))))

4 REPLIES 4
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @bsas,

I'd like to suggest you to use below formula to calculate the total revenue.

Measure formula:

Total revenue = SUMX(FILTER(ALL(Table),CONTAINS(CALENDAR([Start date],DATE([Start date].[Year],[Start date].[MonthNo]+[duration],[Start date].[Day])-1),[Date],MAX('Calendar'[Date]))),[amount])+0

1.PNG

Notice: your result not suitable for your duration. In table 1 it shows 4 and 2 as duration, so end date should be 6/1/2017 and 5/13/2017. But the result in table 2 not match the date range.

Analysis sample:

End Date = DATE([Start date].[Year],[Start date].[MonthNo]+[duration],[Start date].[Day])

3.PNG

Table = SUMMARIZE(ADDCOLUMNS(CALENDAR(MIN(Table1[Start date]),MAX(Table1[End Date])),"Month",FORMAT([Date],"mmmm"),"Amount",SUMX(FILTER(ALL(Table1),CONTAINS(CALENDAR([Start date],[End Date]),[Date],[Date])),[amount])+0),[Amount],[Month])

2.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Thank you @v-shex-msft for end date formula...i forgot about it. Used it in my formula (do not use your variant as I have 4 differrent categories...). 

I have one more issue that just thought about....I use formula to calculate start date:

start date = IF(AND(MONTH('tab'[closedate]+21)=1,
YEAR('tab'[closedate]+21)=2018),DATE(2017,12,1),
DATE(2017,MONTH('tab'[closedate]+21),1))

But if date is in 2018 I cahnge it to 12/1/2017 it is incorrect, How I can can remove this data in such case (not using report filter, but formula)? Should I use measure in such case and "allexept"?

HI @bsas,

>>for end date formula...i forgot about it. Used it in my formula (do not use your variant as I have 4 differrent categories...). 

Not very clear for your formula logic, can you please share the table structure for future analysis?

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
bsas
Post Patron
Post Patron

2 hour fo searching and hour of brainstorming and vyalya:

Billing = CALCULATE(SUM(tab[rate]),FILTER(tab,tab[start date] 
<= CALCULATE(MAX('Calendar'[allDates].[Date]))),
FILTER(tab,IF(tab[Duration]=1,tab[start date],
IF(tab[start date]+(tab[Duration]*31)>= DATE(2017,12,31),
DATE(2017,12,31),tab[start date]+(tab[Duration]*31)))
>= CALCULATE(MIN('Calendar'[allDates].[Date]))))

P.S. Thanks to post "How to sum values by period based on the start and end" for giving me idea how to change my thoughts to right direction.

P.P.S Posting this solumtion just because maybe it will be usefull for someone.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.