Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Calculate required memory

Hello Experts,

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to calculate how much memory is required to import and work with a dataset?

For example, suppose I want to import a dataset which contains 1 million lines. Is there any way to calculate how much memory my machine will need (or approximately)?

Thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Anonymous ,

It should be related to your data amount and calculate complexity. If your report contains Dax formulas who nested multiple iterator functions, it will affect report performance and spend more memory resource to calculate.

Optimizing nested iterators in DAX

BTW, if you have any advanced operations in query editor, you can consider to add table.buffer/list.buffer to reduce memory spend.

How and When to use List & Table Buffer?

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Anonymous ,

It should be related to your data amount and calculate complexity. If your report contains Dax formulas who nested multiple iterator functions, it will affect report performance and spend more memory resource to calculate.

Optimizing nested iterators in DAX

BTW, if you have any advanced operations in query editor, you can consider to add table.buffer/list.buffer to reduce memory spend.

How and When to use List & Table Buffer?

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Kerrymr
Helper I
Helper I

Hi Hendrti,

There are a lot of factors involved in how much memory is consumed and how fast visuals are refreshed.

I'm not sure there is a specific answer.

My current report utilizes a single table with 10 million rows, 13 columns, and 13 complex visuals on a single report page. 

It uses about 1GB of memory and all my visuals refresh in less than 3 seconds.

When you have a small number of rows and columns, the quality of your model is less important.

As you build bigger datasets and more complex models there is more time during development devoted to streamlining the model for speed.

You can significantly reduce your memory (and increase the speed) by eliminating unneeded columns from your model and by using DAX studio to streamline the calculations.

I hope this helps some.

Kerry

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Kerry,

This was very helpful indeed, thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.