Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jadewind
Helper I
Helper I

Calculate rate from two tables

Hi all,

I'm new to Power BI. I have got a few tables in Power BI and try to link them correctly and do some basic routine calculations. 

Now I have two tables, one lists Incidents data and another lists Number of staff data. Both of them have fields like Region, Cost Centre, Financial Year etc. I also have a third table that contains cost centre hierarchy if needed, to link these two tables by cost centre codes. 

In Incidents data, I can count how many incidents by Region by Financial Year. In staff data, I can count how many staff by Region by Financial Year.

Now I need to calculate the incident rate = No. of Incidents / Number of Staff. 

I need to also be able to break down the incident rate by Region, Cost Centre etc AND by Financial Year. 

I find the rates I get are not correct. My DAX is "

Incident Rate = COUNTA(Incidents[Incident No.]) / SUM(Staffs[Total]) * DISTINCTCOUNT(Staff[Report Date])

"

How should I do it to make it work?

Thanks in advance for any help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@jadewind

In this scenario, since both table contains Region, Cost Centre, Financial Year fields, you suppose already built the relationship between two tables. To calcualte the rate, you just need to use ALLEXCEPT() to have your calculation group on corresponding fields to get correct result.

Incident Rate =CALCULATE(COUNTA(Incidents[Incident No.]),ALLEXCEPT(Incidents,Incidents[Region],Incidents[Cost Centre],Incidents[Financial Year])) /

(CALCULATE(SUM(Staffs[Total]), ALLEXCEPT(Staffs,Staffs[Region]),Staffs[Cost Centre],Staffs[Financial Year]))

CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(Staff[Report Date]),ALLEXCEPT(Staffs,Staffs[Region]),Staffs[Cost Centre],Staffs[Financial Year])))

Regards,

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@jadewind

In this scenario, since both table contains Region, Cost Centre, Financial Year fields, you suppose already built the relationship between two tables. To calcualte the rate, you just need to use ALLEXCEPT() to have your calculation group on corresponding fields to get correct result.

Incident Rate =CALCULATE(COUNTA(Incidents[Incident No.]),ALLEXCEPT(Incidents,Incidents[Region],Incidents[Cost Centre],Incidents[Financial Year])) /

(CALCULATE(SUM(Staffs[Total]), ALLEXCEPT(Staffs,Staffs[Region]),Staffs[Cost Centre],Staffs[Financial Year]))

CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(Staff[Report Date]),ALLEXCEPT(Staffs,Staffs[Region]),Staffs[Cost Centre],Staffs[Financial Year])))

Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.