Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

codebrane
Frequent Visitor

Calculate percentage occurrence of word in a dataset for new table

If I have a dataset imported from a sharepoint list ("Please Choose" is the default Choice value where a grade was not required):

userid,grade1,grade2,grade3,grade4

123,Excellent,Please Choose,Please Choose,Good

123,Please Choose,Please Choose,Satisfactory,Unsatisfactory

123,Excellent,Unsatisfactory,Unsatisfactory,Good

123,Excellent,Good,Unsatisfactory,Good
124,Excellent,Good,Unsatisfactory,Good

is it possible using DAX (or something else) to work out the percentage of "Unsatisfactory" for a userid, ignoring all occurrences of "Please Choose"? So the percentage would relate to the total of "Unsatisfactory" vs the total of "Excellent"+"Good"+"Satisfactory"+"Unsatisfactory".

The percentage would be stored in a new "Fitness" table. I can then filter on the value of "Fitness" in a report:

userid,fitness

For the above example, there are 12 grade values for the userid "123", 4 of which are "Unsatisfactory" (ignoring "Please Choose"), so the new "Fitness" table would contain "33" for the userid "123" and so on.

thanks,

Alistair

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@codebrane there are couple of steps you need to do, first unpivot your table, here is query with unpivoted data

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjQy1nGtSE7NyUnNK9EJyElNLE5VcM7Izy9OReO55+enKMXqQLTgUxicWJJZnJaYXJJfVKkTmleMxIXrR1iJqgCdi2IpQhNIGI9SE6KUxgIA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"userid,grade1,grade2,grade3,grade4" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"userid,grade1,grade2,grade3,grade4", type text}}),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Changed Type", "userid,grade1,grade2,grade3,grade4", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(",", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"userid,grade1,grade2,grade3,grade4.1", "userid,grade1,grade2,grade3,grade4.2", "userid,grade1,grade2,grade3,grade4.3", "userid,grade1,grade2,grade3,grade4.4", "userid,grade1,grade2,grade3,grade4.5"}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"userid,grade1,grade2,grade3,grade4.1", Int64.Type}, {"userid,grade1,grade2,grade3,grade4.2", type text}, {"userid,grade1,grade2,grade3,grade4.3", type text}, {"userid,grade1,grade2,grade3,grade4.4", type text}, {"userid,grade1,grade2,grade3,grade4.5", type text}}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Changed Type1",{{"userid,grade1,grade2,grade3,grade4.1", "userid"}, {"userid,grade1,grade2,grade3,grade4.2", "grade1"}, {"userid,grade1,grade2,grade3,grade4.3", "grade2"}, {"userid,grade1,grade2,grade3,grade4.4", "grade3"}, {"userid,grade1,grade2,grade3,grade4.5", "grade4"}}),
    #"Unpivoted Other Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Renamed Columns", {"userid"}, "Grade", "Value")
in
    #"Unpivoted Other Columns"

Now add following measures , you can club all these in one measure as well

Total Unsatisfactory = CALCULATE( COUNTROWS( Table1 ), Table1[Value] = "Unsatisfactory" )

Total Others = CALCULATE( COUNTROWS( Table1 ), Table1[Value] <>   "Please Choose"  )

% = DIVIDE( [Total Unsatisfactory], [Total Others] )

And here is the result

image.png

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@codebrane there are couple of steps you need to do, first unpivot your table, here is query with unpivoted data

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjQy1nGtSE7NyUnNK9EJyElNLE5VcM7Izy9OReO55+enKMXqQLTgUxicWJJZnJaYXJJfVKkTmleMxIXrR1iJqgCdi2IpQhNIGI9SE6KUxgIA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"userid,grade1,grade2,grade3,grade4" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"userid,grade1,grade2,grade3,grade4", type text}}),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Changed Type", "userid,grade1,grade2,grade3,grade4", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(",", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"userid,grade1,grade2,grade3,grade4.1", "userid,grade1,grade2,grade3,grade4.2", "userid,grade1,grade2,grade3,grade4.3", "userid,grade1,grade2,grade3,grade4.4", "userid,grade1,grade2,grade3,grade4.5"}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"userid,grade1,grade2,grade3,grade4.1", Int64.Type}, {"userid,grade1,grade2,grade3,grade4.2", type text}, {"userid,grade1,grade2,grade3,grade4.3", type text}, {"userid,grade1,grade2,grade3,grade4.4", type text}, {"userid,grade1,grade2,grade3,grade4.5", type text}}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Changed Type1",{{"userid,grade1,grade2,grade3,grade4.1", "userid"}, {"userid,grade1,grade2,grade3,grade4.2", "grade1"}, {"userid,grade1,grade2,grade3,grade4.3", "grade2"}, {"userid,grade1,grade2,grade3,grade4.4", "grade3"}, {"userid,grade1,grade2,grade3,grade4.5", "grade4"}}),
    #"Unpivoted Other Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Renamed Columns", {"userid"}, "Grade", "Value")
in
    #"Unpivoted Other Columns"

Now add following measures , you can club all these in one measure as well

Total Unsatisfactory = CALCULATE( COUNTROWS( Table1 ), Table1[Value] = "Unsatisfactory" )

Total Others = CALCULATE( COUNTROWS( Table1 ), Table1[Value] <>   "Please Choose"  )

% = DIVIDE( [Total Unsatisfactory], [Total Others] )

And here is the result

image.png

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

thanks for that @parry2k . I'm new to power bi so I don't know what the first bit is. Where does the string come from in

Binary.FromText

@codebrane that i just created a table, go to query editor, in left pane, right click and choose blank query, click advanced editor and paste the code.  Once it is done, you wil see a table with all the steps to unpivot table which you can replicate on your original table.

thanks for taking the time to help with this @parry2k , very much appreciated.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.