Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Calculate percent of a number

This is a very straight forward problem but I haven't been able to find the correct method.  I just want to calculate the percentage of a number.  I'll use that number in another calculation.  I've tried a variety of things that I've modified from other people's work but no luck.  Here's one, as an example:  Cost X = SUM(Table1[Actual Cost])*.10

I get results that aren't 10% of the value and I haven't been able to determine the logic in the results yet.  Any input would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous

Column=Table1[Actual Cost]*.10

Regards
Zubair

Please try my custom visuals

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
MathFour
Frequent Visitor

I'm not sure, but I'd first check your order of operations. Perhaps Microsoft does multiplication before SUM. Try an extra set of parenthesis before the *.10.

Okay, that was dumb - due to the distributive property, that wouldn't matter. 

But maybe there's a different way of logic.

Regardless, parenthesis are cheap. Give those a try. Maybe it'll be just the right kick in the machine to make it work.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the try but no effect. 

As an example of the results, 203,000 became 722,692 and the next number (which was completely different) also resulted in 722,692.  Some results repeat for no reason and others don't. 

I plugged all of the numbers into a tool to see if the program could determine the pattern but it couldn't find any either. 

Just for kicks, I also tried the following with the same results: SUM(Table1[Actual Cost]) * (10/100) .  

For what it's worth, I tried this as a Measure and as a Calculated Column but the same results.

Hi,

This formula should definitely be a measure.  Share the link from where i can download your file.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately, I can't share the file.  I'm building this for a customer and it has their sensitive data in it. 

I did try a measure, like you suggested, but it didn't work.  I thought this would be a simple DAX statement but maybe there's more to it in PBI?

@Anonymous

Column=Table1[Actual Cost]*.10

Regards
Zubair

Please try my custom visuals
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Zubair,

That worked perfect.  Thanks again for your help!  As I suspected, it was extremely simple but I couldn't find a single example of this anywhere. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.