Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jaco1951
Helper III
Helper III

Calculate % of total within selected period

Hi

I have searched up and down to find a working solution, but no luck so far.

I have a bunch of loans that I put a filter on, removing those with company 103. I also have a filter that says date = max(date) because I select on month level.

I want to create a % of total for the remaining loans, based on the sum without compay 103.

How can I do this??

I've tried something like this:

debt in % = CALCULATE(SUMX(factTable;factTable[Debt Total])) / [Measure Total Debt]

Where [Measure Total Debt] =
CALCULATE(SUMX(factTable;factTable[Debt Total]);
FILTER(dimSecurity;dimSecurity[Company] <> "103");
FILTER(cal_Securities;cal_Securities[date] = MAX(cal_Securities[date]))

But once I make a selection in any field that Measure Total Debt starts to change... 

Anyone who can explain in details how I solve this?

Br Espen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @edhans

I found the solution, not 100% if I understand the logic, but it worked when I added the filter for companies without using the filter function:

total reported debt = 
CALCULATE(SUM(factTable[Loan Balance End USD - Reported Value]);
dimSecurity[CompNo.] <> "103";
dimSecurity[CompNo.] <> "104";
dimSecurity[CompNo.] <> BLANK();
FILTER(cal_Securites;cal_Securites[Date] = MAX(cal_Securites[Date]));
ALLEXCEPT(factTable;factTable[%Sec_CFP]))

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
edhans
Super User
Super User

Try adding one more filter to calculate:

ALL([Company])

I am not 100% positive that filtering "<> 103" will work with the ALL (i.e. will ALL force that filter to be ignored?), but give it a shot first. I'd need to play with some real data to test this.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Wasn't quite that simple. This worked for me though:

Total Measured Debt = 
CALCULATE(
    [Total Debt],
    FILTER(
        ALL(Debt[Company]),
        Debt[Company]<>"103")
)

You don't need to filter the date at all as that will automatically fitler based on the filter context of your table/matrix.

BUt it adds up all debt for all companies excluding co 103.

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Hi edhans

Thank you for your input, I have tested some stuff now, and this formula works except from one thing, I'm not able to filter away the companies that I dont want to be in the total.

If I add a filter for company the formula just end up showing 100% on all rows...

I had to add the date filter, as i only select month, and not the date, there are 31 records for the month. But it works fine, all for the company stuff, the grand total is currently 91%, not 100%, which means that my page filter exclude the companies, but the forumla still add them as the grand total.

loan% = 
DIVIDE(SUM(factTable[Loan Balance End USD - Reported Value]);
ALLEXCEPT(factTable;factTable[%Sec_CFP]));0)

thanks 

espen

Hi @jaco1951 

I didn't skip the SUM function. [Total Debt] is a measure that is =SUM[Debt[Debt]) - I wasn't at all clear about that. Rule of thumb though when reading articles, as long as you aren't looking at calculated columns, a measure is always [Measure] without a table qualifier and a column is always TableName[ColumnName] with the table qualifier.

To help further, I would need to see a PBIX file with some data in it to see exactly where it is going wrong. Too many variables for me to keep in my head and trouble shoot - like is there a data table, which date is in your visual (date table or data table), where is the Month number coming from, how are you selecting, etc.

Hi @edhans

I found the solution, not 100% if I understand the logic, but it worked when I added the filter for companies without using the filter function:

total reported debt = 
dimSecurity[CompNo.] <> "103";
dimSecurity[CompNo.] <> "104";
dimSecurity[CompNo.] <> BLANK();
ALLEXCEPT(factTable;factTable[%Sec_CFP]))

Hi @edhans

There seems to be some delay on these messages, because I thought you hadn't seen my post, and therefore I edited it.

As you can see from the edited post I found a DAX formula that is very close to work, except from the fact that I cannot filter away compaines. If I try to add that filter, it goes back to show the value for each row, not the total anymore.

And thank you for the info about the measure / column thing, I didn't think about that. Nice to know.

Br Espen

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.