Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Calculate number of weekdays between two dates

Hi,

I have a fact table F_TASKS that contains a foreign key (FK_DATE_START) that links to PK_DATE in a dim date table (D_DATE_START) representing a start date and a second foreig key (FK_DATE_STOP) to a copy of the first dim date table (D_DATE_STOP = D_DATE_START)  representing a stop date

The dim date tables (D_DATE_START and D_DATE_STOP) have a column IS_WEEKDAY (boolean) which indicates if a particular date is a weekdag (Mondag till Friday) or not a weekday (Saturday or Sunday).

For every record in F_TASKS I want to calculate the amount of workingdays between start date and the stop date, so the dates with IS_WEEKDAY = FALSE() are not taken in account, only the dates where IS_WEEKDAY = TRUE()

How can that be done?

R.W.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,
I solved the problem by using a calculated column PROCESSING_TIME in the fact table F_TASKS
The idea is not to base the sollution on the link between the fact table F_TASK en de dim table D_DATE, but on filtering out the records in the dim table D_DATE using the two dates and the boolean that indicates if a date is a weekday and counting them

PROCESSING_TIME=
CALCULATE( COUNTROWS(D_DATE);
FILTER(D_DATE;D_DATE[DATE]>=F_TASKS[DATE_START]);
FILTER(D_DATE;D_DATE[DATE]<=F_TASKS[DATE_STOP]);
FILTER(D_DATE;D_DATE[IS_WEEKDAY] = TRUE()))

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous ,

It seems that you have three tables in your scenario and have the relationships among them.

If it is convenient, could you please share the data sample which could reproduce your scenario and your desired output so that we could help further on it.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,
I solved the problem by using a calculated column PROCESSING_TIME in the fact table F_TASKS
The idea is not to base the sollution on the link between the fact table F_TASK en de dim table D_DATE, but on filtering out the records in the dim table D_DATE using the two dates and the boolean that indicates if a date is a weekday and counting them

PROCESSING_TIME=
CALCULATE( COUNTROWS(D_DATE);
FILTER(D_DATE;D_DATE[DATE]>=F_TASKS[DATE_START]);
FILTER(D_DATE;D_DATE[DATE]<=F_TASKS[DATE_STOP]);
FILTER(D_DATE;D_DATE[IS_WEEKDAY] = TRUE()))

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.