Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Dmitry_D
Frequent Visitor

Calculate nearest points by geographical coordinates

Hello!

I have two tables. Table "Customers address" with my customers id, latitude and longitude (8 mln rows). And "Shop_table" with my shops id, latitude and longitude (500 rows).

The goal is to find the nearest shop to each of my customers. Fortunatly, I also have column "city" in both my tables. And fortunatly I know the formula to calculate the distance between two geographical points.

I take table  "Customers address" and make Table.NestedJoin with "Shop_table" by column "city". And expand it. After that I add column "Distance" with formula distance calculation . Finaly, I make Table.Group and calculate the minimal distance for each customer id.

But it takes a lot of time. Could you advise me a better way?

Dmitry

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It seems, I figured how to do it

I made the user function

(reg,x_cast,y_cast)=>
let
Source = Table.SelectRows(shop,each [region]=reg),
formula = Table.AddColumn(Sorce, "Distance", each
6371 * 2 *Number.Asin(Number.Sqrt(Number.Power(Number.Sin((y_cast-[y_shop])*Number.PI/180/2),2)+Number.Cos(y_cast*Number.PI/180)*Number.Cos([y_shop]*Number.PI/180)*Number.Power(Number.Sin((x_cast-[x_shop])*Number.PI/180/2),2)))),
minimum = List.Min(formula[Distance]),
fnl_tbl= Table.SelectRows(formula,each [Custom]=minimum)
in
fnl_tbl

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

This might be useful to others, I've put togheter a sample PBIX that calculates the closest Shop to Costumers using Dmitry_D's original code. Sample on dropbox here.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

You might take a look at the new ArcGIS map functionality just released this month for Power BI Desktop.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Unfortunatly, I do not understand how ArcGIS map could solve my task

How many distinct cities are in your customers table? If significantly less than your number of customers, you could perform the distance calculation based on a list of just the distinct cities of your customers table. Then buffer that result and join back to the customers.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

It seems, I figured how to do it

I made the user function

(reg,x_cast,y_cast)=>
let
Source = Table.SelectRows(shop,each [region]=reg),
formula = Table.AddColumn(Sorce, "Distance", each
6371 * 2 *Number.Asin(Number.Sqrt(Number.Power(Number.Sin((y_cast-[y_shop])*Number.PI/180/2),2)+Number.Cos(y_cast*Number.PI/180)*Number.Cos([y_shop]*Number.PI/180)*Number.Power(Number.Sin((x_cast-[x_shop])*Number.PI/180/2),2)))),
minimum = List.Min(formula[Distance]),
fnl_tbl= Table.SelectRows(formula,each [Custom]=minimum)
in
fnl_tbl

Thanks for sharing your solution!  I have the exact same issue with two tables of Latitude and Longitudes and a need to find the nearest location like finding the nearest shop to each customer.  Can you please explain a little more of the syntax in your solution and how you implemented it?

Did you use that code to create a new column in your table containing the customer locations or did you create a 3rd table?  Is thise done with just 1 column?  Would you be able to share an example file so I can follow how your solution was implemented?

Thank you

Yes , of course thats the best way as you don't have to group (and the tables to operate on are shorter).

How many times faster does it make your query?

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Input data

Customer_table = 13 mln rows

Shop_table = 540 rows

The 1st method (with Group) was endless. After 20 minutes of waiting I stopped id

The 2nd method (with user function) takes about 7 seconds

Thx - very impressive!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.