Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jotten
Frequent Visitor

Calculate monthly totals with a start date and end date meeting a particular criteria?

I apologise if this has already been solved but I can not seem to find the correct solution that works for me.  I am trying to calculate future planned cost for Capital and Expense.  The table I have has an amount (Planned Cost) with a start and end date associated with it.

I need to determine what the amount would be per month for each Portfolio.  I have 11 portfolios and there are multiple entries per portfolio.  The other twist is I need to determine if it is Capital or Expense. I have a column called "Billing Override".  If it is capital it will have "IS CER" in the "Billing Override" column if blank it is Expense.

I also have a "Calendar" table and a table called "PortfolioID".  Here is what I have so far.  I created a table which spread the dates by day.  I can't seem to get the relationship to work.  Maybe there is a better way to do this?  Please if you can help it would be much appreciated

Original data tableOriginal data table

Table spreading the Start and End datesTable spreading the Start and End dates

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Jotten,

I cannot seem to get the crossJoin table to work.  Is this joining the two tables I gave an example of or is this joining my first table (Data Source) with my Calendar table?  I do not have any measures in my calendar table.  I only have calculated columns.

CrossJoin Formula.png  

You should CROSSJOIN the first table (Data Source) with calendar table.

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Please send pbix file if pissible.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How did you do the second table with the dates? trying to do something similar but only on EOM dates between two dates

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Jotten,

Please refer to below DAX formulas to create calculated tables:

CrossJoin = ADDCOLUMNS(FILTER(CROSSJOIN(Table1,'Date Dim') ,[Date].[Year]>=Table1[Start On].[Year]&&[Date].[MonthNo]>=Table1[Start On].[MonthNo]&&[Date].[Year]<=Table1[Due On].[Year]&&[Date].[MonthNo]<=Table1[Due On].[MonthNo]),"Year-Month",YEAR([Date])&"-"&[Date].[Month])

Result Table =
SUMMARIZE (
    FILTER (
        'CrossJoin',
        'CrossJoin'[Billing Override] = "IS CER"
            || 'CrossJoin'[Billing Override] = BLANK ()
    ),
    'CrossJoin'[Project:Portfolio ID],
    'CrossJoin'[PortfolioID],
    'CrossJoin'[Year-Month],
    'CrossJoin'[Billing Override],
    "Amount"SUM ( 'CrossJoin'[Plannned Cost] )
)

2.PNG

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Yuliana Gu,

I cannot seem to get the crossJoin table to work.  Is this joining the two tables I gave an example of or is this joining my first table (Data Source) with my Calendar table?  I do not have any measures in my calendar table.  I only have calculated columns.

CrossJoin Formula.png

In the above crossjoin table - 'Table' is the table I created to spread the Start and End Dates. Should I use the 'Data Source' table?  I tried it both ways and neither seemed to work.

Below is 'Table'

'Table' Created from Data Source to spread the planned cost .'Table' Created from Data Source to spread the planned cost .'Data Source'  Need to spread the Planned Cost column across the Start On and Due On dates.  End result - I will be able to calculate the cost per month.'Data Source' Need to spread the Planned Cost column across the Start On and Due On dates. End result - I will be able to calculate the cost per month.

The above table 'Data Source' will be pulled in every month.  I would like to calculate the planned cost per month.  If it is Capital it will have "IS CER" in the Billing Override column and if it is Expense the Billing Override column will be empty.  In addition to these two tables above I have created a 'Calendar' table.

Thank you so much for your help.  

Jodie

Hi @Jotten,

CrossJoin Formula.png  

You should CROSSJOIN the first table (Data Source) with calendar table.

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Thank you I did get this to work.  However, in checking the numbers I realized the Cost is not being spread accurately.  The sum of "planned cost" is much larger then the sum of "planned cost" in my original data source.   I feel I am back to the begining.  I need to spread my "Planned Cost" between a Start date and an End Date.  

Thank you

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.