Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JKoivu
Helper I
Helper I

Calculate min/max days between events

I have a table with repair data for vehicles. I need to calculate what was the smallest and largest timeframe (in days) between them. Let's say I have a date slicer on my report, and after selecting dates I have the following raw data:

JKoivu_0-1601991787366.png

I would then like to show a Power BI table that looks something like this:

JKoivu_1-1601992196118.png

Based on the data, min date diff would be 11 days and max date diff would be 42 days.

So the question is, what is the best way of doing this? My first instinct was to create a measure with EARLIER thrown in, but I don't really understand how EARLIER works so couldn't figure out how to do it. The other option that I thought of was to create a new calculated column with the difference to previous repair, something like this:

JKoivu_2-1601992553587.png

This way I could just create simple measures like: Min date diff = MIN(Repairs[Days from previous]). Problem is that I don't really know how to write such column efficiently without slowing the data refresh, and I would really prefer using a measure anyways if that's possible.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@JKoivu , diff from previous date 

As column  

From previous repair =
datediff (MaxX(filter(Table,[Vehicle_id] =earlier([Vehicle_id]) && [Date] <earlier([Date])),[Date]), [Date], day)

As measure 

From previous repair measure =
datediff (MaxX(filter(allselcted(Table),[Vehicle_id] =max([Vehicle_id]) && [Date] <max([Date])),[Date]), [Date], day)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@JKoivu , You can get measures like this

Measure 1 =
datediff(max([Date]), calculate(max([Date]), allexcept(Table,[Vehicle_id])), day)

Measure 2 =
datediff( calculate(min([Date]), allexcept(Table,[Vehicle_id])),max([Date]), day)

or you can get columns

Column 1 =
datediff(([Date]), calculate(max([Date]), filter(Table,[Vehicle_id] =earlier([Vehicle_id]))), day)

Column 2 =
datediff( calculate(min([Date]), filter(Table,[Vehicle_id] =earlier([Vehicle_id]))),([Date]), day)

@amitchandak , thanks for you reply! I tried these with the following results: Measure 1 (which I figured is the max diff?) returns 0, and the measure 2 returns 346, so these don't work like I imagined.

This is the result for the columns:

JKoivu_0-1601995851471.png

The Column 1 is pretty close to what I need, which is cool! But it seems to calculate datediff from the latest, is it possible to have it subtract the value from previous row?

@JKoivu , diff from previous date 

As column  

From previous repair =
datediff (MaxX(filter(Table,[Vehicle_id] =earlier([Vehicle_id]) && [Date] <earlier([Date])),[Date]), [Date], day)

As measure 

From previous repair measure =
datediff (MaxX(filter(allselcted(Table),[Vehicle_id] =max([Vehicle_id]) && [Date] <max([Date])),[Date]), [Date], day)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.