Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

SR1
Helper I
Helper I

Calculate measure based on Filter selection

Hi,

I would like to create a measure that is based on filter selection.

Here's an example:

I am using two filters – ‘Area – South’ filter is for ‘SOUTH’ visual(edited filter interaction)

‘Area – North’ filter is for ‘NORTH’ visual.

Problem: I am using measures for location count & sum of male & female.

The measure doesn’t work when I select the filters (see image) .

I want the measure to calculate according to the filter selection. In the below scenario I want the measure to show LocationCount =2 , SumMale = 94 , SumFemale = 67.

sample.png

I have attached the sample pbix as well . Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iEgsHFQkFx9x_xtMHpYp6E_KWISGejaM

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@SR1,

You may turn Single Select to Off to allow selecting multiple items.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/visuals/power-bi-visualization-slicers#selection-controls-...

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
octa_jk

Can not access this file. is there a solution to this problem?

Anonymous
Not applicable

My suggestion would be to create two calculated tables from your DataTable representing North and South locations.

I named them 'North Filter' and 'South Filter'.

You can achieve this with:

North Filter = all('DataTable'[LocationId];'DataTable'[Location])

South Filter = all('DataTable'[LocationId];'DataTable'[Location])

I would than create for each calculated table, one inactive relationships with DataTable.

Calculated tables to be used as filters.Calculated tables to be used as filters.

After that create the following measures:

Location Count=
        COUNTROWS (
            SUMMARIZE ( UNION ( 'North Filter', 'South Filter' ), [LocationId] )
        )

This will give you all the distinct locations selected.

You can create also:

North Count=
CALCULATE ( COUNTROWS ( 'DataTable' ), USERELATIONSHIP ( 'DataTable'[LocationId], 'North Filter'[LocationId] ) )

This measure will count only the locations selected on the North Filter. I'm assuming that when nothing is selected the user wants ALL.

If you setup a table visual whith a filter on this last measure for only values greater than zero, you'll get the North information.

North Visual.JPGNorthVisualFilter.JPG

The same thing should be done for South.

Other measures created are:

North Female=
        CALCULATE (
            SUM ( 'DataTable'[Female] ),
            USERELATIONSHIP ( 'DataTable'[LocationId], 'North Filter'[LocationId] )
        )

North Male=
        CALCULATE (
            SUM ( 'DataTable'[Male] ),
            USERELATIONSHIP ( 'DataTable'[LocationId], 'North Filter'[LocationId] )
        )

South Female
        CALCULATE (
            SUM ( 'DataTable'[Female] ),
            USERELATIONSHIP ( 'DataTable'[LocationId], 'South Filter'[LocationId] )
        )  
South Male=
        CALCULATE (
            SUM ( 'DataTable'[Male] ),
            USERELATIONSHIP ( 'DataTable'[LocationId], 'South Filter'[LocationId] )
        )

Finaly, measures for the Totals are created:

Total Female = [North Female] + [South Female]

Total Male = [North Male] + [South Male]

Final ResultFinal Result

Here is a link to the changes necessary for my suggestion: Sample Pbix

v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@SR1,

You may turn Single Select to Off to allow selecting multiple items.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/visuals/power-bi-visualization-slicers#selection-controls-...

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's due to South visuals interacting and filtering North visuals and vice versa. See below link to fix

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-reports-visual-interactions

Hi @Anonymous I am having the same problem even after changing the North & South visual interaction.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah ok I understand what you're tryig to do now. Simply put its not possible the way you're trying to do it.

There are 2 slicers but both refer to the same column. Thats why a count can't be created when you have 2 different selections from 2 different slicers on the same column. You'd be better off doing something like this

https://ufile.io/9xjic

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.