Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Girts
Frequent Visitor

Calculate grouped values based on criteria

I am new in Power BI, read a lot of different solutions in web, but couldn't get a result. 

Source data comes from financial accounts + analytical dimensions. 
For this post created table with dummy values.

YearCostCenterExp-IncMonth01Month02Month03
2017Company ASales100150124
2017Company ASalary505050
2017Company AOther costs202020
2017Company BSales150225186
2017Company BSalary757575
2017Company BOther costs303030
2018Company ASales120180149
2018Company ASalary606060
2018Company AOther costs242424
2018Company BSales188281233
2018Company BSalary949494
2018Company BOther costs383838

The wish is to get calculated values in rows by each year, company(CostCenter) and month. 
It should look like: 

YearCostCenterExp-IncMonth01Month02Month03
2017Company ASales100150124
2017Company ASalary505050
2017Company AProfit before other costs5010074
2017Company A%50%67%60%
2017Company AOther costs202020
2017Company AProfit308054
2017Company A%30%53%44%
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Floriankx
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hello,

you know for starters it is a really hard request.

First Step: You have to Unpivot your FactTable using PowerQuery

let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="FactTable"]}[Content],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Year", Int64.Type}, {"CostCenter", type text}, {"Exp-Inc", type text}, {"Month01", Int64.Type}, {"Month02", Int64.Type}, {"Month03", Int64.Type}}),
    Unpivot_Month = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Changed Type", {"Exp-Inc", "CostCenter", "Year"}, "Attribut", "Wert"),
    Add_MonthNumb = Table.AddColumn(Unpivot_Month, "MonthNumb", each Text.End([Attribut],2)),
    Change_MonthNumb = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Add_MonthNumb,{{"MonthNumb", Int64.Type}})
in
    Change_MonthNumb

The result is a table looking like this:

image.png

After loading this to your Data Model you have to create a Dimension Table (DimTable):

Exp-IncIDID
Sales1
Salary2
Profit before other costs3
% PBOC4
Other costs5
Profit6
% Profit7

In your DimTable you create the following Measure:

Value:=
IF(HASONEVALUE(DimTable[Exp-Inc]); VAR Sales=CALCULATE(SUM(FactTable[Wert]);FactTable[Exp-Inc]="Sales") VAR Salary=CALCULATE(SUM(FactTable[Wert]);FactTable[Exp-Inc]="Salary") VAR Others=CALCULATE(SUM(FactTable[Wert]);FactTable[Exp-Inc]="Other costs") VAR Gross_Profit=Sales-Salary VAR Switch_Measure= SWITCH(MAX(DimTable[ID]); 1;Sales; 2;Salary; 3;Gross_Profit; 4;DIVIDE(Gross_Profit;Sales); 5;Others; 6;Gross_Profit-Others; 7;DIVIDE((Gross_Profit-Others);Sales)) RETURN IF(OR(MAX(DimTable[ID])=4;MAX(DimTable[ID])=7); FORMAT(Switch_Measure;"0%"); FORMAT(Switch_Measure;"0")); BLANK())

It may be possible you have to change ";" to ",", according to my non-englisch version.

The result is the following:

image.png

There are dozens of great posts and blogs explaining SWITCH and VAR like:
Paramter Table, VAR 1, VAR 2, and my previous blog for SWITCH.

You could also try to solve your problem through cascading like here.

Best regards.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Floriankx
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hello,

you know for starters it is a really hard request.

First Step: You have to Unpivot your FactTable using PowerQuery

let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="FactTable"]}[Content],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Year", Int64.Type}, {"CostCenter", type text}, {"Exp-Inc", type text}, {"Month01", Int64.Type}, {"Month02", Int64.Type}, {"Month03", Int64.Type}}),
    Unpivot_Month = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Changed Type", {"Exp-Inc", "CostCenter", "Year"}, "Attribut", "Wert"),
    Add_MonthNumb = Table.AddColumn(Unpivot_Month, "MonthNumb", each Text.End([Attribut],2)),
    Change_MonthNumb = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Add_MonthNumb,{{"MonthNumb", Int64.Type}})
in
    Change_MonthNumb

The result is a table looking like this:

image.png

After loading this to your Data Model you have to create a Dimension Table (DimTable):

Exp-IncIDID
Sales1
Salary2
Profit before other costs3
% PBOC4
Other costs5
Profit6
% Profit7

In your DimTable you create the following Measure:

Value:=
IF(HASONEVALUE(DimTable[Exp-Inc]); VAR Sales=CALCULATE(SUM(FactTable[Wert]);FactTable[Exp-Inc]="Sales") VAR Salary=CALCULATE(SUM(FactTable[Wert]);FactTable[Exp-Inc]="Salary") VAR Others=CALCULATE(SUM(FactTable[Wert]);FactTable[Exp-Inc]="Other costs") VAR Gross_Profit=Sales-Salary VAR Switch_Measure= SWITCH(MAX(DimTable[ID]); 1;Sales; 2;Salary; 3;Gross_Profit; 4;DIVIDE(Gross_Profit;Sales); 5;Others; 6;Gross_Profit-Others; 7;DIVIDE((Gross_Profit-Others);Sales)) RETURN IF(OR(MAX(DimTable[ID])=4;MAX(DimTable[ID])=7); FORMAT(Switch_Measure;"0%"); FORMAT(Switch_Measure;"0")); BLANK())

It may be possible you have to change ";" to ",", according to my non-englisch version.

The result is the following:

image.png

There are dozens of great posts and blogs explaining SWITCH and VAR like:
Paramter Table, VAR 1, VAR 2, and my previous blog for SWITCH.

You could also try to solve your problem through cascading like here.

Best regards.

Thank you for your answer. Bookmarked it in my browser Robot Happy

... modified ... Why did you add a custom column for MonthNumber?

... about variable Switch_Measure - As I understand, it was used to get right format for % values?

Hello,

MonthNumb is obsolete, I expected it to be needed but it wasn't the case.

Switch was used to get the required structure of Values. Because some are calculated and others aren't.

The Format I defined in the IF-Statement.

Best regards.

Sorry that I didn't open a new topic - can you help me to add one more modification to this solution - I need to add a custom column which shows grow rate vs previous month.  

Like an example for Company A, 2017, Sales month03 grow rate vs month02 is (124-150)/150= -17%

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.