Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Calculate downtime with days of different length

I need to calculate the downtime of various critical systems (think telephony, website, etc.):

• Per system
  • Per business process affected
  • Overall for the organization
  • Per month and YTD.

Why it's complicated: 

• Some systems need to be up 24/7 (website, for example) and others during specific periods (operating hours): the sales DB might need to be up 8:00 to 20:00 Mon-Fri, 9:00 to 15:00 Saturday and closed on Sundays whereas telephony and intranet would be 7:00 - 22:00 7 days/week, etc.
  • Some downtime events might be over more than one calendar day and those days may have different operating hours.
  • Some events affect more than one system, and those systems might have different operating hours.
  • Some events affect more than one business process.
  • Schedules might change during the year

Here's a sample of data I have at this point: (I do have a date dimension table and can create a time dimension table as well)

Outages

Outages.png

Systems to Business process mapping

System-Business Process.png

Systems operating hours

Schedules.png

Everything I found so far is for simple, fixed hours workdays with the only twist being weekends/holidays.

Anyone has an idea how I can achieve this?

2 REPLIES 2
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

If I understand you correctly, I think the entry point is to divide the rows which downtime more than one day into day-by-day rows as below:

1.PNG

BTW, could you please share some sample to me if you don't have any Confidential Information?

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-jayw-msft 

I don't have access to online file storage from work. 

Otherwise, the screenshots are from a dummy file that doesn't have confidential information: I invented the names, dates, schedules, etc. but the structure is identical. I did save it just in case.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.