Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gdssiqueira
Helper I
Helper I

Calculate difference from latest value

Hi guys,

this one is a variation of this post. Since I can't mark it as 'unsolved', it made sense to start a new topic.

In the previous post, I have an example, in which I wanted to subtract two values from different rows when they had a different type (there's a Type column) and referred to the same date. Now I'm going to present a different example because the goal is a little different.

Here's the simplified version of my dataset. The Selection column actually represents a few columns grouped into one.

The table is not necessarily ordered by latest date.

Date Type Value Selection

1/6    A      4           X

1/5    A      2           X

1/4    B      3           X

1/3    A      5           Y

1/3    B      2           Y

1/2    B      3           X

1/1    A     3           Y

1/1   B      1           Y

What I want is, for every row of type A, calculate the difference between its value and the value of the last row of type B, with a Date equal or prior to its Date and of the same Selection. I'll try to show the output I'm expecting:

Date Type Value Selection  Difference

1/6    A       4          X             4 - 3 =1 (from row 3)

1/5    A       2          X             2 - 3 = -1  (from row 3)

1/4    B       3          X             blank

1/3    A       5          Y             5 - 3 = 2 (from row 6, because row 5 has different Selection value)

1/3    B       2          X             blank

1/2    B       3          Y            blank

1/1    A       3         Y            3-1 = 2

1/1    B      1          Y            blank

How could I approach this? Aditionally, if there's another column with a true/false value saying if you should ignore that row, how would that change my approach? Feel free to message me with questions if something isn't clear enough.

Thanks ! 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

This is one possibility:

let

// This function selects the corresponding B-Row for every A value
SelectB = (selection, date) =>

let
// several filters following
// omitt this first filter if you don't have the true/false-field #"Filtered Rows3" = Table.SelectRows(ChgType, each ([#"true/false"] = "true")), // without the true/false-field, the next filter will look like this:
// #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(ChgType, each ([Selection] = selection)),
#"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Filtered Rows3", each ([Selection] = selection)), #"Filtered Rows1" = Table.SelectRows(#"Filtered Rows", each [Date] <= date), #"Filtered Rows2" = Table.SelectRows(#"Filtered Rows1", each ([Type] = "B")), // Just keep the latest row from this selection
#"Sorted Rows" = Table.Buffer(Table.Sort(#"Filtered Rows2",{{"Date", Order.Descending}})), #"Kept First Rows" = Table.FirstN(#"Sorted Rows",1) in #"Kept First Rows", // Example data - replace with your table Source1 = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjDUMzDTMzIwNFPSUVJwBBImIIZCBJAsKSpNVYrVgSgyRVFkhF2RCVyRE5Awxq7IGMUkU7CiSNyKnODWgRSlJeYUI1QZEWOfIYp9xtjtgysCGWSIpiYWAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Date = _t, Type = _t, Value = _t, Selection = _t, #"true/false" = _t]), ChgType = Table.Buffer(Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source1,{{"Date", type date}, {"Type", type text}, {"Value", Int64.Type}, {"Selection", type text}})), // Here the function is called #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(ChgType, "BValue", each SelectB([Selection], [Date])), #"Expanded BValue" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Added Custom", "BValue", {"Value"}, {"ValueB"}), #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded BValue", "Difference", each if [Type]="A" then [Value]-[ValueB] else "") in #"Added Custom1"

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.