Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

supermulder
Frequent Visitor

Calculate difference between two rows

Hi there,

i have a simple table with 2 columns

date / value

2016-02-10 / 1000

2016-02-11 / 1200

2016-02-12 / 1500

What i need is a dynamic column "diff" that considers the difference in value between each row -

date / value / diff

2016-02-10 / 1000 / 0

2016-02-11 / 1200 / 200

2016-02-12 / 1500 / 300

What i have tried is:

diff  ='Table'[value]) - CALCULATE(COUNT('Table'[value]);FILTER('Table';'Table'[date] = DATEVALUE('Table'[date] - 1)))

With this formula i get no result - do you have any idea what to do ?

Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4
fbrossard
Advocate V
Advocate V

Hi @supermulder,

It depends on your needs, if you measure is  "context filter" depend, you should you @MattAllington DAX solution.

If not, you can also precalc the diff at leaf level with Power Queery by implementing running total techniques with Power Query :

1. Create you data source query (for example SampleDataSource), order you data by "date" column, add a first index starting by 1, add a second index called previous index starting by 0 and modify your query in order to create only connection . You should have this M code :

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjIwNNM1MNI1NFDSUTI0MDBQitVBEjUEiRqhixqBRE1BorEA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Date = _t, Value = _t]),
    #"Change type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Date", type date}, {"Value", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Order rows" = Table.Sort(#"Change type",{{"Date", Order.Ascending}}),
    #"Add index started by 1" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Order rows", "Index", 1, 1),
    #"Add index started by 0" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Add index started by 1", "Previous Index", 0, 1)
in
    #"Add index started by 0"

2. Create a new query by Referecing the first one (for example Sample). Merge the 2 queries with left join by using Sample.Previous Index = SampleDataSource.Index. Expand the referenced table to get the value, calc the diff and remove all temp columns. Finally, you should have this M Code :

let
    Source = SampleDataSource,
    #"Merge queries" = Table.NestedJoin(Source,{"Previous Index"},SampleDataSource,{"Index"},"Previous",JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Previous expdanded" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merge queries", "Previous", {"Value"}, {"Previous.Value"}),
    #"Add custom column Diff" = Table.AddColumn(#"Previous expdanded", "Diff", each [Value] - [Previous.Value]),
    #"Delete temp columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Add custom column Diff",{"Index", "Previous Index", "Previous.Value"})
in
    #"Delete temp columns"

Just use diff column on your visuals.

Can I ask why you need this column?  It is not something that I would consider normal DAX. What are you trying to achieve in the end?

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

In value i have always the cumulated value over all - it´s perfect for display in a line widget for example - but what i want is a quick overview about the absolute performance over a given period to display.

So at the moment i have

day 1: 20000

day 2: 30000

day 3: 40000

What i want additionaly is the growth between days:

day 1: 0

day 2: 10000

day 3: 10000

At the end i want to display this values in a bar-widget for the last 7 days and more cumulated for month and quarter reports - i hope you unterstand what my intention is.

So do you always only have 1 record per day? Either way it doesn't really matter   I would connect the data table to a calendar table, make a working day ID column in the calendar table (start at 1 and increment by 1 for each day).  Null or zero for a non working day.

eg

0 = Sunday 

etc

Then write measures (not a calc column) like this

Today=sum(table[value])

Previous working day =calculate(sum(table[value]),filter(all(calendar),calendar[ID] =max(calendar[ID])-1))

chg vs prior working day = [Today] - [Previous a Working Day]

set a matrix, put the calendar[date] on rows and then add the three measures. 

Edit: you may want to repeat the ID number for the last working day instead of blanks. 

etc

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.