Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CrisSalgado
Frequent Visitor

Calculate difference between all columns

Hello,

I'm struggling with measures and I would appreciate any help. 

I have a table with columns: CategoryName, CaseID, CaseOrder and Value

For example:

CategoryName      CaseID    CaseOrder    Value

A                       C1               2              10

B                       C1               2              20

C                       C1               2              30

A                       C2               3              15

C                       C2               3              25

A                       C3               1              10

B                       C3               1              15

C                       C3               1              10

I want to sum up for the different CaseID  (sort by CaseOrder. I've already sort CaseID column by CaseOrder in Data/Modelling) and CategoryName and, calculate the difference between the total value for each case and CaseOrder = 1. 

(obs: in this particular example, there is only one record for the same CaseID and Category, so the "sum" is useless, but in real data, I need to sum up by CategoryName)

What I would like to see as result  (I'm using Matrix component to see the data):

CategoryName              C3                            C1                       C2

Value     Diff             Value     Diff          Value    Diff

A                     10         0                  10         0               15         5

B                     15         0                  20         5                          -15

C                     20         0                  30        10              25         5

I've tried something like that https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Calculating-Differences/td-p/354942 (using measures) but it is not exact the same because I have an undefined number of "systems" and I want the difference among all of them. 

Thanks for the help. 

Best Regards

Cristiane

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi CrisSalgado,

You could try below steps:

You could create a table like below and create a relationship like this 

294.PNG

Then create two measures like below

VALUE1 = SUM('Table 2'[Value])+0
Measure 4 = var temp=CALCULATE([VALUE1],FILTER(ALL('Table 2'), 'Table 2'[CategoryName]=MIN(RETABLE[name]) && 'Table 2'[CaseOrder]=1)) return if(ISBLANK(temp),0, [VALUE1]-temp)

295.PNG

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi CrisSalgado,

You could try below steps:

You could create a table like below and create a relationship like this 

294.PNG

Then create two measures like below

VALUE1 = SUM('Table 2'[Value])+0
Measure 4 = var temp=CALCULATE([VALUE1],FILTER(ALL('Table 2'), 'Table 2'[CategoryName]=MIN(RETABLE[name]) && 'Table 2'[CaseOrder]=1)) return if(ISBLANK(temp),0, [VALUE1]-temp)

295.PNG

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi, Zoe Zhi!  @dax 

I followed your suggestion but it results in a difference calculated based on the first category in caseOrder = 1.  Using the data from my example, all positions on matrix were = Value - 10 because 10 is the value for the Category A in caseID = C3 (caseOrder =1). 

What I need is the difference by Category, comparing to the case where caseOrder = 1.  In this case, I suppose I don't need the new table you suggested.  I've tried only to delete the filter based on RETABLE from your code, but it did not work. 

Another question: Why did you sum "0" to the VALUE1 formula? Is it a practice in case the formula return NULL?

Thanks for your help

Best Regards,

Hi CrisSagado, 

Why I create a new table is that you use Matrix, but in your sample(you didn't have record B c2), so although it show in matrix, it can't calculate, so I create a table and use +0 in measure.

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.